noisey AF with Oly 75-300mm ii

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rpringle, Feb 17, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014

I just bought a second hand 75-300mm ii and noticed that the AF isn't as quiet as my 17mm f1.8. I'm wondering if this is normal as I can clearly hear it from the tele during video even outside. I guess I expected it to be more quite with the MSC motor. Also when I have it in burst mode and IS on the camera seems to make a strange whining sound especially if I move it around much. Seems like the IBIS is still trying to control the sensor while it's writing data to the sd card, this doesn't happen in single mode. When powering off it seems to make a low pitched clunking sound as well, I'm guessing this is from the elements going back to a resting position. I bought the EP5 kit a couple months back and it's new. Just curious if any else has experienced this or if I got a poor copy of the 75-300mm.
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    That doesn't sound right. My 75-300 ii is completely silent. The only real noise it makes is the IBIS when I move the camera around.

The clunk at power off is normal - it's because you have your camera set to "park" the focus mechanism on the lens and the IBIS releases its "grip" that keeps the sensor centred.
  3. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014