1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noises from E-PM1 vs E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by EdH, Mar 13, 2015.

1. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Just a quick question.

I've had an E-PM1 since last July and have just bought a used E-PL5 body from eBay. It was only £150 and a cheap way to move up a sensor generation. It also has half the shutter actuations (around 1500) than my E-PM1.

Should the E-PL5 sound different? The E-PM1 makes a traditional shutter sound and clonks when you start it up. The E-PL5 is silent on start up and the shutter noise is more of 'whoosh' than a 'click/clack'.

I'm sure it's probably supposed to sound like that, but a bit of confirmation would make me feel better.

Can anyone confirm this?

I know they're of different generations but they look so much the same you expect them to sound the same.

On a positive note, my VF-2 is a better match for the silver E-PL5 than the silver E-PM1. The VF-2 and E-PL5 have more of a yellowy tinge.

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Did the same upgrade. The shutter sound was one of the things that annoyed me the most on the e-pm1,and the sound on the e-pl5 was quite a pleasant surprise. So yes, they differ. If you're still wondering ig sth is wrong with your copy, go to the nearest camera store and check the sound on their copy of the camera...

sent from my Xperia Z

3. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Thank you, just good to hear it's supposed to sound different. I just wasn't expecting it to be quite so different!