1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Noise = User Error?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tom Marshman, Jun 11, 2019 at 5:53 PM.

1. Tom Marshman

Tom Marshman Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Took a fair number of photos at my son's wedding over the weekend and they were all super grainy, even well lit outside.

It has to be user error. My EM 5.2 has done quite well up till now.

I'm still fairly new to Oly/MFT coming from Canon. My wife as like, Huh, your Canon was better and left the room.

untitled.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. ISO 25600 is always going to be pretty noisy. Revisit your ISO settings or re-read the manual. I tend not to go over ISO 3200, the IBIS is really good.

Maybe you bumped your shutter speed up by accident? 1/1250 sec is what is showing on the EXIF data.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    Your shutter speed is 1/1250, you can reduce that down to say, 1/300 or even 1/150. That will bring you from ISO 25600 to 6400 by 300 which should give you sufficient freezing of moderately motion. By 1/150 you will be at ISO3200.

Are you depth of field limited? You could also bring the aperture down to f/2.2 to keep the sharpness up and it will give you about another 2/3 EV of stop to work with, which means you'll be around ISO 2000-ish. f/2.2, 1/150s and ISO 2000. That's well within the realm of reasonable. If everyone is fairly still, you could knock the shutter speed down to 1/60s even and get away with ISO 1000 at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tom Marshman

Tom Marshman Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I try to keep the ISO as low as possible. My guess is other folks changed the settings by accident when doing group shots I had to be in.

Huge lesson learned, always double check my settings after someone else shoots. The touchscreen menu is great until someone fumble fingers it.

Heck, somebody even shot a video by accident.

So - User Error. Too caught up in the goings on and failed the double check.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kudos and a bravery award for letting uninitiated fingers anywhere near your EM5.2.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.