1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noise schmoise

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by JJJPhoto, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I was going through some of my wife's fashion magazines today (sometimes they give good ideas for trying something new with my photography). Anyway, my eyes locked onto the cover of the Spring 2012 issue of Style.com's print magazine. It is a massive 200+ page full color glossy fashion magazine that is VERY expensive to produce, so they spend a lot of money on photography. The cover is a close up portrait of a model's face but it was clearly a high ISO digital photo and the noise is very obvious and distracting (at least it is distracting if you consider m4/3 high ISO shots distracting).

Despite this, the noisy photo is not only on the cover but the image (and other equally noisy images) is used in the feature story inside this issue. Why did the editors pick those photos for the cover and feature story? Because they are good photos and the noise doesn't matter.

It is just nice to see real life examples of photographers making good money from photos that many pixel peepers would consider horrible because pixel peepers can't see the forest through the trees ... or can't see a good photo through the ISO noise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Photos of hot chicks are noise proof!

• Like Like x 2
  3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Amen.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Photography is simply not a technical problem. And noise is not an error--it can be used to add charter to an image.

5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Truth! And sometimes cheap camera proof.

There was a sports illustrated swimsuit documentary out awhile back where the photographer used a disposable funsaver.

He was like "the prettier my subject, the less work my camera and i have to do."

6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Yep. One of Maxim magazine's regular feature photographers uses Canon Powershot G-series cameras to shoot the beautiful women who show up on the cover. You sometimes see him using the cameras in the behind the scenes YouTube videos that Maxim posts online.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

That's not noise, that's called "mosaics". If you buy the full version it'll go away.