1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noise issue with Pana 20mm f1.7 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by AsTimeGoesBy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. AsTimeGoesBy

AsTimeGoesBy New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2010
    I have read some that this lens is kind of noisy by its nature. However, I just bought one used from a forum and the noise is kind of scary to me (at 0:12). I uploaded the noise of my lens on you tube.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoWuGrM62lc]YouTube - Lumix 20mm f1.7 lens noise.wmv[/ame]

Please tell me whether there should be something wrong with the lens.
    Thanks,

• Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It is noisy, and it sounds about right when shooting HD with the internal mic. If you place the camera up to your ear and let the lens focus. You will hear a similar sound.

3. AsTimeGoesBy

Oct 30, 2010
    Is it normal with this lens?
    The noise is kind of loud (directly to my ears) and always happens at some specific travelling distance (at 0:12 and 0:27)of the front piece of the lens when I was focusing manually. I still can hear it even I place the camera a foot away from my ears. I am afraid there might be something wrong with the lens alignment.

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    You will hear it mf or af form more then a foot away. But it sound about right when capture with the internal mic. It is a bit louder then what my epl-1 picks up. but the squeaking is a bit off though I do not get that noise.

5. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    waow, that is really is a noise!

nice watch, i like watches

6. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Mine does not make anything like that noise, particularly the grinding noise. Mine makes a mechanical whirling sound that is consistent in pitch as it focuses. Kind of like a softer and quieter version of an electric razor for brief moments as it focuses.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that is loud! When I had mine I only heard it via my own ears, and it did not come across like that but much more along the lines that J. Allen has described. Honestly, when someone else brought the noise thing up on another thread, I hadn't even really noticed it.

How did you record this? And it sounds like this when you just listen from a foot away?

8. AsTimeGoesBy

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for all comments. I recorded this clip by the mic on my E-P1 camera.
    Since the mic is quite close so the sound level is amplified. The volume level heard by bare ears is much lower. However, it is still noticeable. I recorded this just to show how it sounds like. I am OK with the swirling sound of the turning focusing ring. However, the grinding noise (sounds like friction noise in my opinion) convinces me that there may be something wrong with the lens.

9. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I don't do youtube but if you can explain whether there's a way to post a video on this site I can make a recording of mine.

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

11. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Lumix GF1 vs. GF2 - Original Sound Comparison:
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/16688977]Lumix GF1 vs. GF2 - Original Sound Comparison on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2010
  13. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    External mic. solves noise problem.