Noise in E-PL7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Oct 1, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Just got the E-PL7 to replace an E-PL5. I only bought the body and use the kit lens of the E-PL5. When focussing the E-PL7, I can hear a noise in the camera, like a motor. Never noticed that in the E-PL5. Is that normal behaviour?

Also, the autofocus seems a tad slower than with the E-PL5. Anybody else experience this?

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I don't have the PL7, but the noise that you are hearing is probably the 3-axis stabilization system turning on when you press the shutter button to focus. This is completely normal, and happens with other cameras that have the 3- and 5-axis systems. The PL5 had a different, more primitive 2-axis stabilization which didn't work that well (and didn't produce any noise).

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I would expect a noise from the e-pL7 with its E-M5-ish stabilisation : the noise really puzzled a lot of users when the E-M5 first came out.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We need some pics. Start an E-PL7 image thread. :thumbup:

5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks, that takes away my uneasiness about it ;)

Image thread sounds like a good idea, will start one once I made a few good shots.

6. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    I have the EPl-7 and mine makes the same noise. It's the IBIS system working. You get used to it pretty fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.