Noise in E-PL7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Oct 1, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Just got the E-PL7 to replace an E-PL5. I only bought the body and use the kit lens of the E-PL5. When focussing the E-PL7, I can hear a noise in the camera, like a motor. Never noticed that in the E-PL5. Is that normal behaviour?

Also, the autofocus seems a tad slower than with the E-PL5. Anybody else experience this?
  2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't have the PL7, but the noise that you are hearing is probably the 3-axis stabilization system turning on when you press the shutter button to focus. This is completely normal, and happens with other cameras that have the 3- and 5-axis systems. The PL5 had a different, more primitive 2-axis stabilization which didn't work that well (and didn't produce any noise).
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I would expect a noise from the e-pL7 with its E-M5-ish stabilisation : the noise really puzzled a lot of users when the E-M5 first came out.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    We need some pics. Start an E-PL7 image thread. :thumbup:
  5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks, that takes away my uneasiness about it ;)

Image thread sounds like a good idea, will start one once I made a few good shots.
  6. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    I have the EPl-7 and mine makes the same noise. It's the IBIS system working. You get used to it pretty fast.