1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Noise filter/reduction setting for EPL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by michael68, Apr 3, 2011.

1. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Just wanted to check if there are any optimal setting for noise filter/reduction in the EPL2? Would turning it on help to reduce noise in shadow areas of normal shots? Would it help leaving it as Auto or changing it to ON, ie noise reduction for all shots?
    Sorry but sometimes I like to enlarge all the way to 100% and can't help but hope to achieve better shots with less noise in dark/shadow areas of my photos.
    Thanks in advance!:smile:

2. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    I keep mine on "Auto" with "Low" as I always shoot raw files so I can add or reduce the amount of noise reduction in post processing if needed.

This works for me, ymmv.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have mine set to Off as I too shoot RAW and prefer to manage noise in PP.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I realize that this is an old thread, but my question is OT. When shooting raw files, does the E-PL2 apply noise reduction to the file if it is set to On, or does it only apply reduction to jpeg files?

--Ken

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are two things here.

Noise Filter applies noise smoothing algorithms to the camera's JPEGs. The RAW file is not effected, save for the fact that the setting is noted in the EXIF. In most cameras this setting is called 'noise reduction'.

Noise Reduction on Olympus cameras means applying dark-frame subtraction to long exposures (longer than 4 seconds). The camera takes 2 shots, 1 with the shutter closed, and 'subtracts' the noise in the second shot from the first. So it does effect the RAW file just as much as the JPEG.

I'd leave Noise Reduction on, as it is useful for long exposures, and has no effect on short ones. Noise Filter depends more on what you're shooting, and whether you're shooting RAW or JPEG.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Excellent clarification!

Thank you,

--Ken