1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Noise and sharpness settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdbphoto, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello to all.

I am a new Olympus owner. I like to do my own image processing on my computer so I don't want the camera to do any sharpening, or other enhancements of the image.

I noticed that the owner's manual recommends setting the sharpness level to -2 when noise reduction is turned off. Has anybody done this? What do you think of the results?

2. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    If you don't want any in-camera sharpening, maybe using Raw files is best?

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You mention that you like to do your own post-processings, which leads me to assume you would shoot in RAW. AFAIK any of the in-camera IQ settings will apply only to JPEG, so if you're working with RAW files, it shouldn't matter.

4. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Good point about the RAW processing. I knew that!

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    In your case I would shoot raw and that's what I do because I process my images myself, too. But if you want to shoot JPEGs, the advice of Olympus is very sound because sharpening emphasizes noise and the pictures just look better with sharpening set to -2. If you want to process JPEGs, sharpening should be the last step anyway.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I think my EPL5 does sharpening, and whatever else it does to the Jpeg, very well (I think I have it on +1). I often can't get the RAW to look as good as the JPEG no matter what I do to it.
    (I do always shoot RAW + Jpeg).

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I had a similar issue with OMD JPEG's vs Raw in Lightroom (I am a beginner at PP). Bought the Huelight profiles and now much closer to start with but better skin tones, greens and orange/reds!!

At only $10 definitely worth a try.