Nocticron v Fuji

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by yatesy42, Oct 25, 2014.

1. yatesy42

yatesy42 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I do like my GX7 kit but these Fuji cash back deals are making a switch awful tempting!

As predominantly a 'people photographer' the Nocticron 42.5mm is tough to justify at £1150, when I can get an XE2 + 35mm 1.4 + 56mm 1.2 for a total of £1200

Does anybody here use both m43 and fuji? Or recently switched one way or the other?

2. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/...a-nocticron-42-5-f1-2-lens-review-comparison/

Both the Nocticron and XF56mm are just FANTASTIC lenses. However IMHO having shot both, the Nocticron is on another level entirely. Particularly for portraits, this is the closest you will get to a Noctilux 'look' without having to spend the 11k on one. The contrast wide open, colour rendering for skin tones, sharpness.... the Nocticron genuinely looks, feels and generates images that have a very special look to them.
    If I was to break down the two lenses that you mentioned - the bokeh is smoother on the Nocticron than the Fuji (however it does vignette a little more wide open) but this is great for portraits.
    From a versatility perspective, the Nocticron gives up a little more shallow DOF to the XF56, but conversely it is quicker to focus, has OIS which gives at least 1 - 2 stops of stabilization, has a much closer minimum focus distance (so you can get more creative shots, wafer thin DOF shots) and has a better build.

The debate between m43 and Fuji X is another one - if you like shooting Fuji and want to stick with Fuji, the XF56mm is a world class great lens and it probably isn't worth jumping systems to benefit from the Nocticron unless you have very deep pockets. Fuji files have a different look to them and some love them and others don't. I moved from XE1 to m43 (briefly bought the XT1 and returned it because of mushy control pad) but I'm happy with m43 due to lens range, versatility and quality. If you do go Fuji and (particularly if you like portraiture) the XF56mm APD may be also worth considering. It is a more expensive version of the XF56mm but is especially designed for portraiture - although you do lose some light gathering capability for it's APD functionality.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Leica_DG_Nocticron_42-5mm_f1-2_H-NS043E/verdict.shtml

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I've switched over from µ43 to Fuji quite recently. I sold OM-D E-M10 but kept the PEN E-P5 because of the looks of the camera. However I don't find myself using PEN a lot these days. That's more because of the form factor than anything else. I prefer Fuji X-T1 SLR form factor and controls. But µ43 as a system have smaller lenses, which sometimes is really needed and preferred.

Quality wise I don't notice that much difference that one should argue over it. Sometimes Fuji seems better and an other occasion then µ43 produces better image.

However the feeling using X-T1 and PEN E-P5 is quite different. Small things, auto-focus speed and accuracy, EVF, controls, etc. So I recommend, if possible, test how you like shooting with Fuji XE2 and your preferred µ43 camera, and decide then which to choose and invest. Using both systems is not so easy, and maintain skills and 'eye' for both systems requires some effort, IMHO. Best camera is always the one you use naturally and keep always with you, ready to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I came from the Fuji side to the m43 side.

Fuji just never seemed to nail the menus, the overall camera speed and I have issues with their AF implementation.
    I got the Fuji stuff after years of working with Nikon DSLRs. I still use lots of Nikon gear and the transition to Olympus was a lot less to take on than the Fuji. The Olympus EM5 just focused faster than the Fuji stuff I tested and I've been a lot more happy with the m43 gear than the Fuji.

I wrote a blog post about it here, in depth if you care to review it:
    Best Light Photo Compares Fuji X100s, X-T1 and Olympus OMD EM5

5. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I've shot quite a lot of portraits with my old Canon 5D II and 85/1.2L II and I can tell you that the Nocticron will blow the 85L II out of the water. It's cheaper, smaller/lighter, sharper wide open and across the frame, has significantly less CA, focuses 10x faster and more accurately, etc, etc. The Canon at f1.2 is next to useless (to me) because (a) focussing is a hit-and-miss (because of back/front focussing issues) and (b) the DOF at f1.2 is waaaay too shallow (to me) so I rarely shoot below f2 with the Canon. The Nocticron is totally usable at f1.2 … fantastic actually.

To me, the Nocticron is the most DSLR-like lens in the m43 lens line-up.

• Like Like x 4
  6. mark111

mark111 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2014

I live in the UK too so I understand your interest in the Fuji deals, they look really great and Fuji always do these deals before xmas so it's tempting. I have owned a GX7 previously but I sold it because I didn't have time to take photos and it was just sitting in my cupboard depreciating so I figured I would get one when prices drop again when I have more time for photography. A few weeks ago I was able to borrow an Xe2 with the 35 1.4. It's a good camera, and I liked the design of it and the images I got were very nice. However if you like the GX7, handling speed and AF performance then I think you will be dissapointed with the XE2. You can get better noise performance in theory but handheld I found it's much harder work. Bear in mind the 1.4 has no IS, while the GX7 has 1-2 stops with IBIS, I found the GX7 AF worked much better in low light.

Some people say they prefer Fuji jpeg/colour, (however I mainly use RAW) files so that's something to bear in mind and of course you will get more background blur using longer the Fuji focal lengths.

As for the Nocticron, it looks great but at £1100 that's very expensive for a hobbist or someone doesn't don't use their camera to make money. Especially when you can buy the Olympus 45 in the UK now for £179.99 -£12.50 rebate from amazon. That's an amazing deal and I don't think the Nocticron is anything other than a marque when you consider it's competition costs 7X less, is much smaller and gives away little in terms of image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Fuji optics are phenomenal, the sensor is great, but the usability and design of the cameras is enormously frustrating. I eventually decided it wasn't worth the hassle and sent my X-E2 back.

8. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I have the Nocticron and love it - but reading reviews, they seem pretty evenly matched. For me though, the fact that I have OIS is a huge advantage of the Nocticron, as I believe neither the Fuji body or lens offers stabilization.