1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nocticron price

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The real winner or losers with this Lens is Panasonic . I cant see any substantial advantage of this lens over Olympus 45 mm 1.8 at least from samples .If Panasonic manages to sell a lot they will be lucky . IMHO USD 899-999 is the best price , USD 1699 for this one ? Nah ... Doesn't matter how much we desire fast aperture of 1.2 the price is total absurd. This is not the first time Panasonic has done this . Panasonic 12-35 mm 2.8 was grossly overpriced. And now it sells for USD 999-1099 . If Olympus had had made this lens the price would have been below USD999.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Really?! Take a look at the updated side-by-side shots that napilopez re-uploaded earlier.
    There is significantly more fine detail and contrast at every aperture. I think the initial samples that were uploaded had been too compressed by Flickr so fine detail was lost. The new samples show the differences much clearer. :)

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Couldn't have said it better myself! As always with these things, it's a matter of diminishing returns. Like how some people won't need an OTUS over a Sigma. The Nocticron is unquestionably the better lens here, but whether those differences matter... It's up to you. I may end up prefer the Voigtlander's "character" for my own brand of aesthetics, for example, but I can't help but be stunned by images from the Nocticron virtually every single time. I felt this way about the Olympus 75 too, but this is a bit more of a versatile focal length for portraiture, while also being faster.

It's hard to set a price on a lens when it's almost certainly the very best available for the system. While on one hand I'm sure it will come down with time, on the other other hand I feel like I'd be lying if I said it didn't deliver.

Except for the lack of weather sealing. But y'all already know my broken-record stance on that =P

• Like Like x 7
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The pricing sucks for sure, and I wish it was indeed less than $1K. OTOH, that's the premium that is placed on arguably the best m4/3 lens manufactured so far. Premium products call for premium pricing -- particularly when the closest competitor is a manual focus lens that is pretty pricey too. Alas, for the time being, I will just have to keep on using the 75/1.8 to satisfy my shallow DOF cravings.

5. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    Thanks for the review. But honestly is the Nocticoron worth 42.5mm 1598,-? I guess it's personal and if you're a professional it's maybe worth the buy. But you can buy a complete set of the:

75mm 1.8 (800,-) + 45mm 1.8 (310,-) + 25mm 1.8 (380,-) = 1490,- usd

and still save 100,- bucks.

After seeing the wedding pictures of SSSYURRR I now know for sure I don't need the Nocticoron.

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's a want lens, not a need lens.

And it is doing its want job most impressively! Look how many feel the need to say it is overpriced! That's a sure sign of lust....

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  7. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i take it as a sure sign its overpriced...sometimes the simple explanation is best.

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    :rofl:

Indeed...

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Everything is overpriced -- if you want it for less than it is worth....

• Like Like x 1
  10. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    ''Everything is overpriced -- if you want it for less than it is worth....''

when one takes a pov to the absurd, it of course, becomes absurd. may i counter that when a thing walks like a duck, quacks and looks like a duck, the vast majority will indeed see it as a duck. there will always be those who insist it is not a duck. 'many' say it is overpriced because it is overpriced.

that is of course not in any way dispositive of whether any individual should want or buy one. it wouldnt stop me if i indeed did 'lust' for one. ive certainly bought many things in my life that were overpriced simply because i wanted them, and i feel i owe no one an explanation or justification for those purchases. i was however always honest with myself about what i was doing.

11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Some also should just by some super zoom then ? Being honest not jerky :)
    Some might be better with a 12-140 kinda lens I still want one for going to the park etc....
    And one nice prime say a 17

1.2 is kinda like going 200 MPH in a car pretty tough and cost a lot
    1.8 is like going 160 ? Almost anything can do it

Agreeing with ya :) had to re write a bit :)
    Yeah %90 or more can skip it :)

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not thrilled with the price - though from the perspective that it doesn't really help m4/3 attract new users or keep existing ones - I wouldn't get one even if it were $900. That said, it's only truly overpriced if Panasonic sells fewer than they planned. Since we don't have any idea what their sales targets are, it's awfully hard to say anything one way or the other. One indication will be if they quickly start offering lens-only rebates or cutting prices. Another would be if secondhand ones sell for vastly less than MSRP.

The car analogy makes no sense to me. You can use f/1.2 basically anywhere (assuming an ND filter). The advantages over f/1.8 may not matter to you, but they're always available to be used. You can't take advantage of 200 MPH in your car (or indeed 160 MPH) unless you are on a track or on the German autobahn.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I might say it helps get and keep users
    Will make it easier to dump my FF quicker and make some pros look harder also at m4/3 who do not want to go down in quality

14. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    well dara, i see your pov, but not sure i personally would define it that way. for example i did not in any way think the A7 was overpriced, but it is already being discounted. by your definition that woukd mean it started out overpriced, and i just dont think thats the case. i do see from a purely economic theory pov it means it was, but i personally cant get there, because there was nothing else like it on the market.

15. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I am not sure I can agree with you that pros will be able to justify this lens more than a hobbyist. On the contrary, I think it's the other way round. Who are the people who are buying high-end camera bodies and lenses from Leica, etc? It's mostly the non-pro hobbyists who can afford them and want the best "toys" that money can buy.

I don't have deep pockets and I am not willing to spend $5,000 on a lens (I could never afford a Canon great white) but I do appreciate good lenses and I am willing to invest $2,000 on any good glass … as a non-pro. Good lenses do not depreciate much, so spending $2,000 on a lens is better than spending $2,000 on a camera body that would typically depreciate by about 30% in the first year.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Bobby agree :) if its a serious hobby look at fly fishing ? look at many things folks get into and want nice :)

I am into espresso so have a nice machine a Elektra A3 about $3000 runs on a dedicated 20 amp circuit its plumbed in both drain and water and has its own water conditioning system :)
    kinda silly really but I over the years worked up to it and really enjoy it and for me its worth it ? some folks who have way more money than me think I am nuts yet they have a $12000 commercial range in there home and barely cook yet they buy some crappy black water at charbucks and when they have mine they freak they never had anything so good ?

having nice stuff is a funny thing for sure :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    I think it's like putting me a formula 1 car and Fernando Alonso in a BMW M3. Both great cars but I'm sure he'll beat me in a race.

With a small (1 stop) difference it's comes down more to the one holding the camera :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yup :)

funny when SCCA came out setup the Maui chapter a guy came out for sure X pro race guy
    anyway Maui has some really nice cars hidden in rich folks homes
    they came out for first auto X track day I mean the best of best cars were there with there rich mainland owners going to impress the locals who came out with many ricers and a few nice basic older 911 and such
    so anyway they setup the course let some folks run it and of course we know its all the driver about half way through the guy who came out from SCCA gets in his mid size rental and pushed the thing to the limits and found a little extra :) hahahahah put out the best time !!! no Porsche Ferrari etc.. beat his time was classic he gets out and says OK time for lessons ! remember its not the car !!!!

talk about funny :) ahhahahaha

• Like Like x 3
  19. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I like your analogy! I too love a good/strong cup of coffee and am considering upgrading my single-serve coffee machine from Tassimo to Nespresso. Okay, I am not quite the gourmet coffee lover that you are!

• Like Like x 3
  20. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    So how long has it taken for some of the other items mentioned to drop in price :)43: bodies, A7R, etc.)? I have a trip coming up in July, and am crossing my fingers that the price goes down at least a little by then. :rolleyes: