Nocticron - My Take

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Now you all know that I love my panasonic gear and it's with me most of the time.

I tried the 42.5mm at night and it was very good, I then did a comparison with it against the Fujifilm 56mm in store because we received our first 42.5mm.

yes the 42.5mm is sharper away from the centre but I preferred the 56mm's bokeh and rendering. I also have to use a small AF point so that the lens doesn't focus behind the subject. overall I'm not sold on the lens despite how nice it is, this is indoor lighting maybe outdoors it would produce nicer colours but hmm.

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
Now you all know that I love my panasonic gear and it's with me most of the time.

I tried the 42.5mm at night and it was very good, I then did a comparison with it against the Fujifilm 56mm in store because we received our first 42.5mm.

yes the 42.5mm is sharper away from the centre but I preferred the 56mm's bokeh and rendering. I also have to use a small AF point so that the lens doesn't focus behind the subject. overall I'm not sold on the lens despite how nice it is, this is indoor lighting maybe outdoors it would produce nicer colours but hmm.

Hmm.. Going by this comparison, the Nocticron's Bokeh appears better than the Fuji's:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/fuji-56mm-f1-2-vs-panasonic-leica-42-5mm-f1-2-nocticron/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Fuji does give a little narrower DOF, but its only 2/3rd stop which isn't really noticeable unless you're really looking for it. Personally with my Nocti, at 1.2, even the slightest movement from me or my subject will throw the focus point off. This isn't something I really had to deal with since shooting faster lenses on FF, none of the other AF lenses in the M43rds system are really fast enough that you have to worry about it(except the 75/1.8). To me this is sort of a good argument that the lens is fast enough and the DOF is shallow enough, for pretty much any use.

I myself have contemplated going Fuji (and actually briefly owned an EX1), but that system is just too quirky, I can't bring myself to give up IBIS, and despite the manual controls on the XT1, a lot of workflow stuff there is slower, eg: stupid locking button on ISO wheel, no custom shooting modes so you have to change a bunch of dial just to transition from one type of shooting to another, and the AF still isn't on par with my EM1. The Fuji 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 really appeal to me, especially the 23 as there isn't an AF lens as good/fast in the M43rds system, but I would lose too much functionality and I'm not in a rush to go back to shooting multiple systems.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The Fuji does give a little narrower DOF, but its only 2/3rd stop which isn't really noticeable unless you're really looking for it. Personally with my Nocti, at 1.2, even the slightest movement from me or my subject will throw the focus point off. This isn't something I really had to deal with since shooting faster lenses on FF, none of the other AF lenses in the M43rds system are really fast enough that you have to worry about it(except the 75/1.8). To me this is sort of a good argument that the lens is fast enough and the DOF is shallow enough, for pretty much any use.

I myself have contemplated going Fuji (and actually briefly owned an EX1), but that system is just too quirky, I can't bring myself to give up IBIS, and despite the manual controls on the XT1, a lot of workflow stuff there is slower, eg: stupid locking button on ISO wheel, no custom shooting modes so you have to change a bunch of dial just to transition from one type of shooting to another, and the AF still isn't on par with my EM1. The Fuji 35/1.4 and 56/1.4 really appeal to me, especially the 35 as there isn't an AF lens as good/fast in the M43rds system, but I would lose too much functionality and I'm not in a rush to go back to shooting multiple systems.

Huh? The PL 25/1.4 is a 50mm 1.4 lens, just like the 35/1.4 is for Fuji (53/1.4). All of the stuff I've read is that it's a pretty sharp lens, and I haven't heard people complaining over the AF speed either. I wouldn't know, since I bought a 25/1.8 instead, but that's just what I've read (because we all know everything posted on the internet is the truth).

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Huh? The PL 25/1.4 is a 50mm 1.4 lens, just like the 35/1.4 is for Fuji (53/1.4). All of the stuff I've read is that it's a pretty sharp lens, and I haven't heard people complaining over the AF speed either. I wouldn't know, since I bought a 25/1.8 instead, but that's just what I've read (because we all know everything posted on the internet is the truth).

Yeah, I was going to say, what happened to the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 lens? Even the Olympus 25/1.8 lens is faster than my Fuji 35/1.4 lens.

Unless EarthQuake was talking about the Fuji 23/1.4 lens?

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I myself have contemplated going Fuji (and actually briefly owned an EX1), but that system is just too quirky, I can't bring myself to give up IBIS, and despite the manual controls on the XT1, a lot of workflow stuff there is slower, eg: stupid locking button on ISO wheel, no custom shooting modes so you have to change a bunch of dial just to transition from one type of shooting to another, and the AF still isn't on par with my EM1. The Fuji 35/1.4 and 56/1.4 really appeal to me, especially the 35 as there isn't an AF lens as good/fast in the M43rds system, but I would lose too much functionality and I'm not in a rush to go back to shooting multiple systems.

Really? Have you actually tried the X-T1, or is this something you read on the internet?
One movement of the dial, you can get from Aperture priority to shutter priority.

You probably briefly owned the X-E1 and that's like a user who owned the Olympus E-P1 claiming to know the PEN system.
Oh and the lens is 56/1.2 :wink:

MaK543

Mu-43 Regular

By saying 'fast', I believe EarthQuake ment thinner DoF, aka fast aperture, not fast AF speed.

MaK543

Mu-43 Regular

Based on DPreview's info, XT1 can remember up to 7 custom settings/modes. This setting is available in shooting menu tab 3.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Based on DPreview's info, XT1 can remember up to 7 custom settings/modes. This setting is available in shooting menu tab 3.

Yes, all your custom settings can be stored and accessed in 1 click of the Q button, and rotating left or right of the dial, to get to the number your setting is saved under. Hardly time consuming :rolleyes:

markdaunt

Mu-43 Regular
What has this to do with the original thread? Other than developing into another "My cameras better than yours" argument.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What has this to do with the original thread? Other than developing into another "My cameras better than yours" argument.

You're right, it has nothing to do with the original thread. However, pointing out false information is not making this into a VS thread.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I was going to say, what happened to the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 lens? Even the Olympus 25/1.8 lens is faster than my Fuji 35/1.4 lens.

Unless EarthQuake was talking about the Fuji 23/1.4 lens?

Yes, sorry, the 23/1.4, not the 35/1.4.

Really? Have you actually tried the X-T1, or is this something you read on the internet?
One movement of the dial, you can get from Aperture priority to shutter priority.

You probably briefly owned the X-E1 and that's like a user who owned the Olympus E-P1 claiming to know the PEN system.
Oh and the lens is 56/1.2 :wink:

I have not used the XT1, my understanding is from reading various reviews etc. Listen, I'm not trying to bash the XT1 here or the Fuji system, I'm actually very interested in the XT1, and most of what I wrote was my personal justification for not buying one (which I have to continually tell myself, as it is very tempting).

My gripe with the ISO changing is the locking button, and the raw limitations. I really like that there is a dedicated dial for it, but like many things that Fuji does, the implementation is just quirky, some of these things Fuji fixes in FW updates (which is awesome), some they can't or don't. Again, my personal experience and opinion.

As far as custom shooting modes, I'm sure you can set up custom user settings, but as far as I am aware there is no way to say, set a custom shooting mode that is shutter priority, min shutter 1/1000, AFC, that you can switch to with one button/dial click, from say, aperture priority mode at 1/125 in single shot AF. Simply because to change many of these settings on the Fuji XT1, you have to physical change a dial/switch for each setting. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually really, really like the concept of a physical control for everything. The ISO wheel especially makes me and my EM1 jealous(again aside from the quirks) but you lose the ability to really customize the controls and set up custom shooting modes that you can flip to with one dial. Two totally different shooting methods IMO. The EM1 doesn't have a button or switch for everything, but you can customize virtually every function and button, which I really, really like.

Here are a few examples of custom shooting modes I have:
1. Fast action, Shutter priority, auto ISO, 9 point AF group, 1/500th shutter, raw
2. HDR Panoramas, Manual, 1/125, ISO 200, MF, 7 shots bracketed at 2EV, raw
3. Product photography (mostly ebay listings with offcamera flash), Manual, F8, 1/125, ISO 200, flash whitebalance, JPEG medium

I have them assigned to the various superfluous shooting modes on the mode dial like art and scene, and I can quickly flip back and forth, in addition to the standard M/A/S/P modes.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As far as custom shooting modes, I'm sure you can set up custom user settings, but as far as I am aware there is no way to say, set a custom shooting mode that is shutter priority, min shutter 1/1000, AFC, that you can switch to with one button/dial click, from say, aperture priority mode at 1/125 in single shot AF. Simply because to change many of these settings on the Fuji XT1, you have to physical change a dial/switch for each setting. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are a few examples of custom shooting modes I have:
1. Fast action, Shutter priority, auto ISO, 9 point AF group, 1/500th shutter, raw
2. HDR Panoramas, Manual, 1/125, ISO 200, MF, 7 shots bracketed at 2EV, raw
3. Product photography (mostly ebay listings with offcamera flash), Manual, F8, 1/125, ISO 200, flash whitebalance, JPEG medium

I have them assigned to the various superfluous shooting modes on the mode dial like art and scene, and I can quickly flip back and forth, in addition to the standard M/A/S/P modes.

Yes you are right, the X-T1 can't set custom shooting modes. Thanks for clarifying.
From what you've mentioned, all that can be set is the AF or manual, flash white balance, and file type (jpeg or raw, or both). On top of dynamic range and other color/file settings such as NR, sharpness, etc.

I guess that will be handy if you're use to shooting in the same situations, but I'm sure it took you a while to get those settings down to muscle memory? Do you know if the E-P5 has that option?

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Do you know if the E-P5 has that option?

I think it does, but I only have the EM5, and EM1. On those what Ido is create a myset with all of my shooting settings, and then in the button section of the menu you can assign those mysets to various buttons, dial positions, etc.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Yes, it looks an amazing lens. I initially thought "no way I'm buying the Nocticron when my O45 is so good", but I'm beginning to think differently. I'm thinking I might replace my O45 with the Nocticron and drop my O75. The latter is a fantastic lens, but I must admit, the FL is a little long for many things. OTOH, I'll then need something that covers that longer range and I've long pondered the 35-100. Forking out for both the 35-100 and the Nocticron is a bit beyond my credibility horizon at the moment!
Well, it's taken me almost a year, but I've just ordered the Nocticron!! Can't wait now until it arrives! I had the 35-100 in the meantime though and didn't really get along with it. Let's hope the Nocticron doesn't disappoint.

Adamaley

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Etor Adamaley
My interest in the Nocticron led me to this forum. I managed to snag a used copy at National Camera Exchange yesterday, and with their current anniversary sale of 10% off, couldn't resist. I only managed to take a few indoor shots since I've been pretty busy with work, but can't wait for the weekend to come. I'll be quite the nuisance around town. This coupled with my only other lens, the 12-35 f/2.8 should tide me over till next month when I hope to pick up the 35-100 f/2.8, then consider it a wrap regarding lenses.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I didn't keep the Noc for long (about 3 days in fact!!). A/B comparisons against the 45/1.8 revealed that the Noc was indeed better, but not by a lot so I decided to return the Noc. It wasn't only a cost issue - the Noc is big and the main reason I got into u43 was to have smaller and lighter gear. I'm actually very happy with the 45/1.8 and the IQ is pleny good enough for anything I can throw at it.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I didn't keep the Noc for long (about 3 days in fact!!). A/B comparisons against the 45/1.8 revealed that the Noc was indeed better, but not by a lot so I decided to return the Noc. It wasn't only a cost issue - the Noc is big and the main reason I got into u43 was to have smaller and lighter gear. I'm actually very happy with the 45/1.8 and the IQ is pleny good enough for anything I can throw at it.

Honestly, the 45/1.8 or 42.5/1.7 offer remarkable performance for the size and cost. Unless you're a portrait/wedding photographer, I don't see why you would spend $1600 on a Nocticron when you could get a lens that is 1 stop slower for 75% of the price, unless you really need that extra stop or background separation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom