1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No Wi-Fi No problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Drdave944, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have several cameras and some of the older ones don't have Wi Fi or touch screen. In fact some newer models have neither touch screen or Wi-Fi .For example Canon G-16 ;No touch screen; has Wi Fi . The new Canon 7D MkII will have neither touch screen or W-Fi !! I like to edit my photos using touch screen like you can with the Panny GX-7 Nothing to worry about,
    I always take Raw and Jpgs. All you do take the SC card out of the old fashioned out of date camera and put it in your GX-7. Delete the bad pictures. This removes Raw as well as Jpgs, Then send your photos to your Ipad or other device. It will not transfer movies so far as I know I think the same thing would work with Olympus. They have an app that works the same with all Olympus cameras .

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    someone else had a bright idea they found on ebay for a few bucks. An SD card reader that plugs right into your phone port. For me personally, the one thing I'd want wifi for is something that is timely. There were a few times I took photos for a local paper and wanted to send them to get published before someone else could beat me to the punch...or maybe on vacation when I wanted to share a photo w/friends (not from phone). Otherwise, I can life w/o it.

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I always thought that the Wi-Fi function was either a serious tool for professional photo-journalists with deadlines or as a gimmick to draw in the 'iPhone generation'.

It can't be easy for any digital camera manufacturer in this day and age when phone cameras (which by default is always 'the camera you have with you') are good enough for snaps and video. This is an opinion as I've never seen the need for a camera with that function. :thumbup:

4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I agree that by and large I have no use for wifi in a camera. I might add the rider that I am not a big user of social media. The ability to remote control (with remote VF) sounds cool but I probably wouldn't use it often.

I have a wireless sd card reader (ADATA AE400, cost about GBP30/USD50) that doubles as a backup battery charger for phones etc, which allows me to upload photos to a phone or tablet for the rare occasions (eg. on holiday) when I might want to put something online etc and am not at home. It's tiny (smaller than a packet of cigarettes). Works for me for the rare occasions it's needed. The rest of the time it acts as a media vault/server for the littleun's Kindle Fire tablet, with a 32GB usb stick plugged into it.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. estarkey7

estarkey7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    USA
    I used to think just like you about Wi-Fi [emoji4], but I will give you the perfect scenario that I use a bunch with my GH4. I do a ton of videos, so when trying to light a scene when I'm the only one working, I move the lights in place with the camera set up and I can see how it looks from the camera POV, which is a huge time saver.

The second is when doing jib shots (camera on a crane). In the past you had no choice but to use an external monitor to see what your doing. Don't even start with what it takes to make settings changes! Now I can do both with my android tablet! Panasonic's Wi-Fi implementation is so sweet for video it should be the standard every other manufactures is judged by.

• Like Like x 2
  6. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Yes - I can see that is a very useful case for WiFi! Certainly not one I'd thought of...

7. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    I am waiting for video glasses where you can see just what you are photographing hands free. I think someone is working on this. The weakness of WiFi now is that unless your camera is supported you need three hands to use it. I tried it for bird photography on a tripod and my only gripe was that it only had a range of about 25 feet.

8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I can see a use for this for setting up flash as well stand where you can move lights and set power with out having to keep going back to the camera. Now even better would be for the camera to sync with a portable wifi hard drive and just transmit the contents of the card incrementally say when you stop for a coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    I'm not a big fan of social media either (old and falling behind I guess), but I do like the WiFi functionality for remote shooting. I've used it (Olympus version) quite a bit for birds with great results, and it's easy to use. As Drdave944 noted, the distance is a limitation, and my experience is a max of 25-30 feet as well. What I've realized I need is a remote control ballhead to swivel the camera because the birds don't always land where I want them to. :)

As far as using WiFi to transfer images to my iPad, I've done it a little, but it's very slow going.

10. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Ha Ha - YES! I once postulated the idea of a remote control 3 axis ball head after trying to shoot birds in the garden just using the radio remote shutter, and my wife immediately exclaimed "don't even think about it!" However I was able to reassure her that if such a thing exists, it would be pro video kit and probably cost thousands, so no danger of me buying one...

11. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    I only transfer selected pictures. I didn't think it was too slow but the process could take longer if you used your telephone service instead of direct transfer. This I-phone stuff is very opaque to me ,what with bluetooth ,3g 3G Wi-Fi, I-phone hot spots. I wonder if anyone knows if you used the Wi- Fi at your house could you get better range? I am just early on the learning curve about these things. Young people use them like pros. I was out at a restaurant and the 3 and 4 year olds we were with were watching movies on their I-phones instead of raising hell while waiting for the food to arrived,like my kids used to do.

12. estarkey7

estarkey7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    USA
    Not really better range. You use WiFi direct so you have a direct connection with your camera from your consumption device. There is a way to connect to your camera over your home network, but practically, your range will depend on the location of your router your camera and your consumption device.