No wheel on OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by duke, Mar 11, 2012.

1. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I guess I just overlooked this but is anyone else a little upset that the OMD doesn't have a wheel in place of the 4 buttons? I really like the wheel on my pl2and p3 and it seems odd to not include it. Maybe you can use the top wheels for the menu too?
  2. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I had a NEX-7 which has the wheel and due to the small size of the camera, the palm of my hand often turns the wheel, which adjusts the ISO. It was quite annoying so I'm kind of glad the E-M5 doesn't have the wheel.

I like using the wheel to scroll through photos though, so not sure if those dials on top of the E-M5 will scroll through the photos or not.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The wheels are put back to where they SHOULD be, where Olympus had always placed them before the PEN series - at the thumb and finger. The worst problem introduced into the PEN system was having that rotary wheel mixed in with the buttons so that it became difficult to turn the wheel quickly during heavy shooting without accidentally activating a button. It was a bad idea to begin with, and I'm glad they went back to the old Olympus DSLR style of forward/rear finger/thumb control dials and 4-way buttons. Plus they've improved on the old DSLR system by adding 4 custom buttons around the control dials as well, ala E-P3 style.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Knowing Olympus one of the 2 wheels probably replaces that fiddly wheel in operation (which personally like Ned, I do not like)
  5. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    cool,as long as one of them can be used in menu I'll be happy.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It'll be the rear thumb wheel which will directly replace the back rotary wheel. The forward finger wheel is always the "secondary" one.
  7. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I'd have loved it if they put a wheel on the four way controller; under heavy shooting I wouldn't have to press another button to get to iso or exp.comp.
  8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I also prefer the wheel at the back of my 60d (itself have a lot of criticisms) but when I tried the epm1 in bestbuy when it first came out, it was too small and too sensitive that it was almost unusable for me. I wonder if it's the same wheel for the other pens? Anyway, the wheel at the top of the em-5 seem to be a better place anyway, especially for a small camera like this.
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I always thought the wheel was a con myself, won't miss it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    The wheel on the Pens was one the primary reasons I didn't but one. My thumb is too calloused. It slides on the wheel unless I press hard enough to engage the buttons under it. I very happy to see it gone on the OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With a two-dial system you never need to press another button to get Exposure Comp. In any priority mode your one wheel changes the priority value (Aperture or Shutter), and the other dial directly adjusts Exposure Comp (or at least after you set it up properly - some default settings will make both wheels do the same thing, which is just stupid). Only ISO requires a button press then a dial turn, but with the four custom buttons positioned right around the dial/shutter area, you can now accomplish that without ever moving your hand from shooting position. That's faster and more valuable than a third wheel on the back of the camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I find the wheel on the E-P1 fiddly, and often press a button another vote for the OMD layout.
  13. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I see you've never shot with a nex-7.

Either way, no big deal. I've gone whole days with 1 lens and 100 iso before. None of those were demanding, but I think I'll live with two dials.

The best system I've tried so far was a mode dial near my operating hand that I could flick one notch and get straight to an 800 iso custom setting.
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    It might be on the "EM6"....
  15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    No I HATED the little wheel and much prefer the wheels on the top plate.
  16. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

17. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    I think Ned nailed it! It is just like this with almost all DSLR's.

I personally can lose the wheel.

18. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The controls of the E-PL2 makes it feel like a mutant P&S camera to me.
    The controls of the E-M5 makes it feel like a mutant DLSR camera to me.

I swapped the roles of the dials so that the front one is main control, so it's like my Nikons.

I set the video button to ISO, so I can change it by holding the button in and rotating the front dial.

Having direct control of all the main camera settings makes the E-M5 worth every penny.
  19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I'm not going to dump all of my comments on the E-M5 controls in this thread but I actually miss the back click wheel and I don't remember pressing it the wrong way accidentally on the E-P2. Also I don't get it why you can only control the direction of one dial.I want CW for value up or right, and CCW for left/down for both dials. Impossible to configure.
  20. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I despised the rear wheel - probably the main reason (along with lack of EVF) that I never got an EPx or EPLx...