No warranty import vs used for Oly 45/1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kpp80202, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    I am considering buying a 45/1.8. Price wise, $400 new is a bit much. I seen them for $280 new on Amazon as a no warranty import (30 day return, no questions asked), and I have seen them for $250 to $300 used here and elsewhere. Seems like the import is the way to go, but what do you guys think?
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA

At those prices, I would buy a used one from All their used gear comes with a 6 month warranty. I bought a used Fuji XF 18/2 from them once. Got it, took 5 pics with it and the internal AF motor went out. Called them up and they sent me a new one without question. I've bought tons of gear from them in the past and never had an issue. Most recent purchase was the HLD-6 grip for my EM5 and a used 45/1.8 from them. Very pleased with it all and they are working flawlessly.
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    i would probably buy used from someone dependable. KEH and Roberts Imaging are both a couple of good companies to buy used gear from. They both offer good warranty and service. So if I can find what I want used from them, they're typically who I go with. That's not saying there aren't Amy other good places to buy used gear, but those are two that I buy used from without worrying about it.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I bought a new grey market from Korea off eBay, shipped in about a week, in brand new packaging and worked perfectly. No regrets whatsoever. I would do this just in case you re-sell it, it will come with the box and and everything, and will actually be in new condition so likely in better condition if/when you resell (the 45/1.8 material's are pretty cheap and it shows wear more than most lenses).
  5. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Where I live, there's no way to get support from camera companies or retailers. Because of this, I much prefer to get asian lens imports. At times they can be had for 2/3rds of MSRP, and they've worked out fantastically for me.

However, if I had access to warranty fulfillment, I would go for that. No question! As ccuningham said, some retailers provide their own warranty for used items, so you get the best of both worlds.
  6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Many Asian sellers offer the full 1 yr. warranty or more. You just have to return the lens to them. It's a hassle, but most lenses never have a problem.
  7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I've bought several lenses from Japanese sellers on Amazon and eBay. All the Olympus lenses came with international warranties, and all the Panasonic lenses came with Japan-only warranties. I see two sellers on Amazon right now offering the 45/1.8 for $280 and $285 with international warranties.
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm a new w/out warranty kind of person, given the choice. I have far more faith in the QC of most optical companies than I do in users never having dropped it, bumped it, spilled water on it, etc....