1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No threads about the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Nimeral, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    It's not really available yet so I guess there's not much to talk about at the moment :smile: Looks promising though...

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I'm more excited about this lens than about the Olympus 12/2 :) But it's not available yet, so we have to wait.

3. Nimeral

Nimeral Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    B.C.
    I have yet to use manual focus on my Pen though...
    Any words of wisdom?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't second guess yourself. Trust your eyes and your instincts.

If you have the VF-2, that comes in very handy as well. If you really need that critical focus then use the Close-Up button and zoom in.

5. AdRath

AdRath New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2011
    Can't wait for this lens. Looks like a fantastic option for shooting video on my GH2. The stepless aperture is a great touch.

6. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Pretty sure this will be next lens on my list.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Looks like you just started one! Interested in this lens for video

8. AdRath

AdRath New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2011
    Does anyone have some hard dates for the release of this lens? I've heard early Dec but haven't seen shipping dates or availability. Most sites that usually have pre-orders for lenses have nothing on this lens.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    This is my next lens purchase for video. Between it and the CV 25mm, f/0.95, I will have some decent tools.

10. Floyd

Floyd Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    12mm First shots...

Howdy all,
    First few shots out of my G2 with the brand spanking new SLR Magic 12mm on board.
    Few shots to share, nothing special at all, just a few sneaky shots during a hectic few days of work...
    First first impressions...very nice lens, build really good and is nice to use. Aperture and focus are very smooth, but a bit on the 'to hard' side for my preference..but Ill either get used to it or it will loosen up..... Vignettes slightly more then slightly, sometimes very obviously (See photo of island bellow) but I personally love a bita good old vignetting action so suits me fine... havnt experience the much reported flare yet though, which is nice, but I havnt pointed it at the sun either.
    Love how damn close you can get with it, and its really cool having a 24mm equiv with this kind of close up capabilities.
    Cheers.
    (All pics RAW, colored ones have just had auto-curves in Aperture, B&W has had curves, conversion in silverfx2

12mm_P1000493.

12mm_P1000501.

12mm_P1050547.

12mm_P1050532.

12mm_P1000508.

• Like Like x 7
  11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Floyd,
    thank your for your shots and welcome to Mu-43.com! I think you will quickly discover that this place is the most friendly Micro 4/3 community on the net.

12. Thanks for the pics! Do you think that the vignetting is purely optical (i.e. Reduces as you stop the lens down) or is it the image circle not quite covering the sensor?

13. Floyd

Floyd Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

I think its purely optical. It doesn't show up noticeably in most circumstances, but in some (like the island shot) it is there in varying degrees no matter the aperture.

I dont mind it though. Honestly, its a really wonderful lens. Exactly the lens I have been wanting for a long time to be honest. Now I just need to be able to afford the CV 25mm and I will be very happy! Maybe Ill settle for the c-mount pentax 25mm 1.4.

Then ill have 12mm 1.6, 25mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4 (Nikon AI-S) all quality MF glass with great focus feel and aperture rings! woohoo. Getting very close to my dream of a digital fe2 (or a pseudo lieca) :)

Thanks for the welcome btw. Glad you guys like the shots

14. footagehead

footagehead New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2010
    Ready to buy this right now. When and where, just tell me.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Welcome aboard!

Where did you get your sample?

16. Floyd

Floyd Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Not sure where or when it will be available for purchase. Email SLRMagic and they should be able to provide you with an answer. I am actually a volunteer tester for the lens so was able to get a production copy early.

Very busy at work at the moment, but will be getting some shooting in soon so will have more pics to post...

17. Floyd

Floyd Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Not sure where or when it will be available for purchase. Email SLRMagic and they should be able to provide you with an answer. I am actually a volunteer tester for the lens so was able to get a production copy early.

Very busy at work at the moment, but will be getting some shooting in soon so will have more pics to post...

18. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    This lens or Oly 9-18mm which has AF? Both are around the same price I believe but Oly is only f4.

The SLR magic looks very awkward.

19. Nimeral

Nimeral Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    B.C.
    Listened to your advise and got a response within 24 hrs!

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our "SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F/1.6" lens with black ring, for micro 43 system. We plan to launch the lens mid/end December.

We have put you in our notification list, and we will inform you about price/delivery/how to order within 2-3 weeks time. Pls be reminded that your country may charge you import duty on the lens, and the buyer is responsible for such duty/tax. Maybe you can call you customs office to find out more."

Nice customer service! They've definitely got a customer