No tethering option on the E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I finally got around today to trying to use the camera for one of the primary purposes I bought it for, to use in the new studio I'm setting up. It doesn't appear you can tether the E-M1 to Lightroom in either WIFI or USB mode, as both modes disable control of the camera as soon as you enable them. I've been shooting tethered since 2005. It didn't even occur to me it was possible to buy a camera that can't do this, at least over USB. I ran into the problem of it not working over WIFI a couple of weeks back, but just made the assumption I'd have to use USB instead. Now I'm kinda dumbfounded by this.

Can this really be the case on the E-M1, or am I just doing something wrong? I've been through the manual and hit the search feature on this site, but I'm not seeing a solution to this rather huge oversight on an otherwise excellent camera.

2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    There is an olympus app that does this already so technically the camera supports the possibility
    Either it's not an open API or Lightroom has to figure out how to use it and add it.
    If it is a proprietary API - it still can be used to shoot tethered, someone just needs to hack it a little

3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I don't want to control the camera from the computer. I want to control the camera from the camera as if I weren't tethered, and send the files to the computer as I shoot in a background process.

The problem is, when you connect to the camera via USB or via WIFI, you lose all control of the camera (from the camera itself). The screen goes black.

On the Canon 6D for instance, you just turn on WIFI and keep shooting. The images transfer via WIFI in the background, without making you give up control of the camera. You can look at the computer to see the images you've captured. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use USB so much as this is how I did it on the 20D for years. But on the E-M1 the screen goes black when you connect the USB cable so that's not even an option.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't think the E-M1 supports what you're trying to do. I think an Eye-Fi card will support it though - but I've not tried so can't be 100% sure. Worth doing a google on it.

5. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the EyeFi card will do the trick. I've read about them in the past. I'm just having a difficult time getting my head around the idea of having to spend more money to add WIFI to my already WIFI enabled camera. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I know what you mean. I don't think Oly really position the E-M1 (or E-M5) as a studio camera.

7. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    Sounds like one for the next firmware update.

8. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    One can hope. /crosses fingers.

With the IBIS and the 4:3 aspect ratio this camera is screaming to be used in the studio. I can work around the WIFI problem by swapping out memory cards a lot while my wife imports them but that's kind of a pain. I'd rather see a shot on the screen as soon as I take it. Easier to check the focus or see things you can easily miss on the viewfinder (stray hairs, lint, photobomb celebrities lurking behind the backdrop, etc). :biggrin:

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Doubt it. Adobe has never supported tethering with Olympus cameras - not even the 'pro' E-3 and E-5.

10. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Adobe Lightroom has a feature called Auto Import. It watches a directory and whenever a new file gets added, it auto imports it into your current shoot and displays that image on your screen.

On pretty much every camera I've used, when you connect the camera via USB it sees the camera as a mass storage device. The Olympus is no different, except that turning on USB disables the camera. As you shoot on most cameras, LR would watch the memory card and as soon as a new file was added it would ingest it into LR and show that file on the screen. It's camera independent, as long as enabling USB doesn't keep you from using the camera.

Edit: Not overly informative, but here's a how-to if you're interested (assuming you have something else other than an Olympus to experiment with I guess). http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/10/auto-import-into-lightroom.html

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You can use an eye-fi card to tether to Lightroom although if you are shooting RAW it will be pretty slow - 15 seconds - per shot.

The eye-fi card can do a lot of things the E-M1 in house wifi cannot - and the in-house wifi can do a couple of things that the eye-fi cannot. Although the in camera wifi isnt too bad on the E-M1 I do find it pretty flakey and prone to crashing the Olympus app on an ipad. It certainly isnt robust enough for intensive use.

12. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    I think we all can agree that its a pretty ducky limitation when the bottom of the barrel CaNikon DSLRs can do tethered shooting. I was also baffled about the WiFi only connecting to phones.

13. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    They must have if its supposed to be the 4/3rds replacement?