1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No Super Control Panel in SCN mode on OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bob_tracks, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bob_tracks

Bob_tracks New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2012
    Minnesota
    I’m wondering if anyone has seen the same problem on their OM-D EM-5. First some background.

I utilize most all modes, including sometimes SCN. And when my wife borrows the camera, she utilizes SCN the most. Both of us like having SCP show in the rear monitor. In the Menu’s Custom/Disp/Control Settings, I have set all of the P/A/S/M modes, ART mode, and SCN mode to “Live SCP – On”. And indeed, the SCP shows in the monitor when I’m in either P/A/S/M or ART modes, but Not SCN mode.

I updated the firmware to 1.5, but no change. I pulled the battery. I have reset the camera to factory defaults. But none of these have allowed SCP to show on the monitor when in SCN mode.

I currently have EVF auto switch set to “On” in all of these modes. But turning it off makes no difference. When I toggle the INFO button I get the different views, but SCP never shows when the mode is on SCN.

What’s odd about this, is that that the manual shows that SCP is an option for SCN mode. And of course, the camera’s menu shows this choice, which I mentioned earlier.

So can anyone confirm if your camera has the same problem or not? And if not, do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    On the E-P3, when in SCN mode I have to toggle the Info button twice to get the SCP to appear. Have you tried that on the OMD?

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've just tried that & it is from the Scene Mode screen that it toggles to LVC or SCP.

4. Bob_tracks

Bob_tracks New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2012
    Minnesota
    Yes, but it cycles through other views, not including SCP.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    1) Select Gear Menu>D>Control Settings
    2) Choose SCN and turn Scene Menu OFF and Live SCP ON as shown.

There's not much you can change via SCP in SCN mode.
    I learned something too. I didn't know that I could get the scene mode and art filter menus by pressing OK.

Attached Files:

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This camera is full of little surprises. We may have read the details somewhere, but have since forgotten about them & are reminded later that there are other little hidden ways of doing things on it.

7. Bob_tracks

Bob_tracks New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2012
    Minnesota
    First of all, thanks for the input from everybody. This is my first post on this forum, and I'm really happy for the friendly responses.

And based on your responses, I've done more fiddling with the EM-5 that I hadn't thought of before. In sum, this is what I've learned:
    1. Pressing the INFO button multiple times when on the Screen mode screen (where you select landscape, sport or whatever) makes no change at all.
    2. Going to menu and control settings to change the Scene Menu to "Off" made no difference in viewing SCP.
    3. When in SCN mode, I kept expecting to get the SCP to show on the monitor like you see it in ART or PASM modes.
    But Oly hid the SCP, and designed the SCP to be viewed only by pressing the OK button. Then after a few seconds, it hides again. I guess that Oly expects people using SCN to generally not be users of it.
    4. When you do view SCP in SCN mode, notice that some functions can be changed and others can't. Again, this makes sense. And I really like the fact that you can see what all of the settings are, even though you can't change some of them.
    5. I see that when the SCP first comes up, that the SCN mode icon is highlighted in yellow at the bottom. Then spinning the shutter dial allows you to change the SCN mode and view how the SCP settings are changed by doing so.

When I first posted, I was wondering if my camera was malfunctioning. But now I realize that Oly made a very logical design. I just wish that they would have mentioned this difference in the manual!!
    Thanks again to everybody for responding. I hope my summary is useful to others on the forum.

• Like Like x 2