1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No screen protector for me.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by goldjim, Aug 16, 2011.

1. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    How many don't use a screen protector and why? I understand the reason behind using one for obvious protection but I'm sure there are those who don't like them. Curious!

2. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    What's not to like? Whatever it is, I probably dislike a scratched up display more. I don't chimp and I don't really the display for anything more than menus.

3. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I use one

I can understand people not liking the degraded image they get from looking through a sheet of plastic or film. I use one because i dont mind.
    If it ever becomes a problem, i can remove it if i wish.

I wish i had put one on my new watch ! it has had an ugly scratch on from day 2 of ownership. And a quote of £75 to replace )
    I use Zagg, i have them on all my devices with screens.
    not my watch though :dash2:

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I put a screen protector on my GF1 when i first bought it and 2 days later had it the whole day hanging around my neck. And guess what! The screen sat smack bang over a shirt button. Up,down and around and around it jiggled making a nice swirly pattern on my new protector. But, it was only a protector so it spared my sanity that day.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've been debating it.

Had one on my first iPhone. But then didn't bother with one for my subsequent iPhone 3GS or the phone after that, the Samsung Focus. No issues.

My biggest concern is whether the screen protector will effect visibility of the screen in daylight...

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I already scratched my G3 LCD. Ended up putting a protector after the fact!

7. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    there are a lot of different screen protectors, some go on unnoticed some degrade quality a lot, there seems to be more crappy ones available for the smart phones then for the cameras. there are also some that feel weird to the touch. there are plenty of them on ebay for cheap, so if you get a bad one try another one.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My G2 doesn't have one because I use the EVF almost exclusively with the LCD turned toward the camera body. My GF2 is another matter...how well does a screen protector work with a touch screen?

I had a GGS glass screen protector on my E-P1 and like it quite a lot and a Giottos on my E-PL1 that I didn't care for because of the way the E-PL1's screen is recessed making it too easy to get a lot of trapped dust between the screen protector and the screen. I have generally never like the flexible plastic protectors (I like glass)

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was religious with them, but then I didn't put one on my EP1 (not sure why) and the LCD never got scratched in two years. Frankly, I think the EP1 LCD material was more resilient than others I've seen.

But with the EP3, the surface isn't just the LCD (or LCD cover), but it's capacitive. I've got to think that's $$$ to replace, so I need a better solution than nothing, but I haven't had the time to look around.

10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Since my EPL1 screen was so crappy and small, I left the factory seal on it and carefully sliced off the excess trimming. It's been there since.

Probably won't get a screen for the EP-3 though. I never liked the feel on touch capacitive screens. My ipad is going commando as well. I figure, might as well use it how it's meant to be used.

11. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I have one on all my cameras. But i went through trial and error on which ones to buy. My Canon XSi had a Zagg one. It was ok after a while though strated to peel after almost a year. Used it alot it was my only camera. Now i Have a Canon 7D and bought a better one for it and tried the GGS 1 screen protector its fantastic. When i got my GF1 in mid march i had only placed a spare one i had that was originally for my Sony psp. This cheapo was replaced twice with other ones i had laying around. Finally i bought a GGS 1 again but, for the GF1 this time. I cannot be more happy with it. I dont even worry about it anymore. No pealing easily as it uses a very nice slim 3M tape around the edge that covers the glass perfectly.

Oh the reason i have one on all of them is because my Sont HX5V which never got one has a thousand mini scratches on it!

Check them out on ebay they go for about $10-15 dollars.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Even at the Apple Store they tell you not to worry about scratching the screen. I 've had no screen protector on my iPhone for 2 years and it has never scratched (and if anything was going to get scratched it would be the iPhone).

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Back to the screen protectors for the cameras..is there a good one that works for the touch screens on the E-P3, G2/3 and GF2/F3? I would think a touch screen would really complicate matters when looking for a screen protector.

14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Yup, that's what I was told. Most Apple stores won't even sell protective screens anymore. They seem pretty resilient so I'm not worried.

Can't say the same for Samsung phones though. Mines spent a few short minutes in my pocket wrestling with a matchbook and it came out looking like an Etch-a-sketch.

15. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    MO
    I am using a Lexerd Truvue Anti-Glare screen protector specifically for GF2 and its great. You can't even tell if it has a screen protector.

image-2663971704.

Had this same brand on all my Canon bodies too.

Sent from an iDevice using Mu-43 App

16. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I put one on my epl1. Not so afraid of scratching it, it just seems really easy to crack.

17. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a protector/sunshade on my E-PL1. I find it really useful when shooting video, the shade is removable by sliding it off, leaving behind the protector piece. I learnt my lesson from a scratched screen on my 400D.

18. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    My iPhone 3GS, which is mostly carried in a sleeve, has two largish scratches from the one time I didn't put it in its sleeve nor in a pocket of its own. iPhone and keys don't match well...

My iPad has one nasty scratch from a usb cable getting stuck between glass and cover.

19. Glass gsi(?) on the GF-1 for protection. No screen protector on the G2. Just try to remember to flip the lcd. If the GF-1 had an articulating lcd I wouldn't use the screen protector.

The old LX-2 screen has survived without any screen protector for a few years of moderate use. Surface of the lcd seems to be a hard glass.

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    No screen protectors on any of my cameras and only some of my lenses are protected. Over 2 years and no marks on anything yet.