1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No rhyme or reason with auto lens retraction on LX100

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by intelli78, Feb 19, 2015.

1. intelli78

intelli78 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    I'm having an odd problem with a brand new LX100. The camera has a "feature" wherein it automatically retracts the lens after a few seconds while the camera is in a menu or playback mode. However, my camera appears to be inconsistent. Sometimes it retracts, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to partially depend on what screen I leave it idling on, but even that is not consistent or always repeatable.

Have any other LX100 owners experienced this inconsistency? It's driving me nuts. Unfortunately there doesn't even seem to be a way to disable this "feature" altogether.

2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    It does the same with me, I can't figure it out and yes it is annoying...

3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I believe I have encountered this as well. It retracts on certain menu screens and others not. But I will have to pay closer attention and see for sure.

4. intelli78

intelli78 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    If yours behaves like mine, you'll realize there is no consistent pattern. It seems to retract more often on some menu screens, but not always. On others it retracts less often, but just as inconsistently. Really odd. For me it's actually a dealbreaker -- the inconsistency and inability to disable the auto-retraction is really frustrating and erodes my trust/enjoyment in using the camera.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I’ve been watching this discussion and decided to reach out to one of my contacts at Panasonic. I suspect this was a literal translation from Japanese, so please pardon the grammar. Some of this just seems redundant to me.

1. In playback mode, the lens retracts in 15 seconds.

2. In monitor mode (ready for recording), the lens does not retract until the auto-power-off (sleep mode) is initiated.

3. In the "menu", the time before lens retraction is a little bit complicated.

If the "MENU" was initiated from the playback mode, the lens retracts in 15 seconds.

If the “MENU” was initiated from monitor mode,

the lens retracts in 15 seconds after the cursol is moved to one of the items in playback tab.

the lens does not retract until the auto-power-off is initiated.

If the "menu" was initiated from playback mode, LX100 keeps to be in the playback mode.

In case the "menu" was initiated from monitor mode, LX100 stays in the monitor mode until one of the items in playback tab is selected.

• Like Like x 2
  6. intelli78

intelli78 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for the info. I am not a fan.

7. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Blimey. Thanks for the posts. That's saved me a headache decision for a small carry around!

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I love the lx100 for the small size, the functionality, and how it can perform especially with good light. The 4k video image is lovely.

I don't like how much the zoom extends and how long it takes to power on and extend. This makes is a little awkward to carry in a jacket pocket and more conspicuous when shooting in the street.

I found that I was much more responsive when using my ep5 or epm2 with the o17 when carrying the camera in my pocket or when trying to get a quick shot of my kids.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've used many cameras and I must admit that the LX100 is one of the most addictive cameras I've ever used. Once you've experienced the 4K Photo Mode, you will be hooked - it's like photo "crack". As I read the comments in this discussion, I can't help thinking that these type of comments might be indirect methods of people trying to justify their previous decisions to invest in other cameras. Me personally, such trivial things as to how or how long the lens retracts would not influence my decision to buy a camera. To me, it's all about the quality of the image.

10. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I like the camera and it is the one that is always with me. I would have to agree that is has been my most favourite to use camera and I agree that the 4k photo mode (I use it a lot) and the 4k video (I have shot a lot) is amazing. I really have to complete edition some of the stuff I've shot as it looks great.

However, it is not a perfect camera (I don't think they exist?) but giving an honest account of the tradeoffs and niggles might not be trivial for others.

I have not got on as well with my gx7 and will most likely replace it with an em5 ii (I was in love with the original but sold it due to weak video).

I will most likely be keeping my lx100 as it is that versatile and always with me.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I just ordered one, and this lens retraction business would not have prevented me from doing so, given all the other pluses the camera checks in my wish list. That said, I don't expect this business will be one of my favorite aspects of using what I expect will be a great and fun camera.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  12. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    @Wasabi Bob@Wasabi Bob - Do you know (or can ask your contacts) why the LX100 doesn't have ETC (Ex. Tele Conv. / 2 x crop) in 1080p video mode like the GX7 or GH4? That would be a really cool way to get a 24-150 equivalent zoom when shooting in 1080p mode with that little camera.

[Edit: OK, I didn't really think that through. I could easily crop video shot in 4k to 1080p to get the same effect... although the GH4 has 4k and also an ETC mode.]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015