1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

No Replies in Buy and Sell Forum

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by demiro, Oct 1, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was going to reply to this thread in Buy & Sell forum:

and say "Great Idea", but of course that is not possible given the new restrictions it establishes. :rolleyes:

It will be nice not to see the plethora of non-essential posts and bumps of threads.

As far as the part I bolded above, I think you may be giving us too much credit as a community. :biggrin:

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dean, I'm moving this into the open forum, because otherwise we'll almost certainly end up with another thread there.

This is something new we're trying out and not necessarily a permanent change. I think it will be for the better. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm. Not sure I like this change. As a buyer, other people's questions help inform myself sometimes. As a seller.. I'm indifferent. I'd rather have email discussions to have a record, heh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I noticed that several of the newer sell/trade threads have a bulleted form with all the pertinent information. Where does it originate? I have some things I might sell soon and I like the fill in the blank format but could not find the original.

I very much like the idea of limiting the seller to being the only poster - stops spaming and trolling.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's automatic now. When you go to start a new thread, you'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not sure I agree this is the best way to go. There are no public questions now to post? (e.g. "what thread size is that filter?" or some such) Plus, when someone would ask a question, you got a free bump, and you could also bump a very good price for a poster.

FredMiranda seems to manage pretty well with comments.

side note -- I find the new q/a format very hard to read. Maybe the mods want to drive down usage (after all, they are all volunteers, and I have no idea the level of abuse perhaps they are having to manage) but I know it makes the buy/sell forum far less attractive to me than in the past. Time will tell I suppose.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are no public questions now to post? (e.g. "what thread size is that filter?" or some such)

It's like Ebay now - You can privately ask "What thread size is that filter?", and if the thread starter thinks it would be helpful, they can share your question and their answer in the thread.

Plus, when someone would ask a question, you got a free bump, and you could also bump a very good price for a poster.

The flip side of that is that people were more likely to bump good prices from their pals.

FredMiranda seems to manage pretty well with comments.

FredMiranda charges for use of their Buy and Sell, and some other forums manage well without comments. I hear you, though. I like FredMirand too. Have been buying/selling there for a long time now.

I find the new q/a format very hard to read. Maybe the mods want to drive down usage (after all, they are all volunteers, and I have no idea the level of abuse perhaps they are having to manage) but I know it makes the buy/sell forum far less attractive to me than in the past.

That's good feedback. The new format was something I did without any input from anyone, and I have no desire to drive down usage. I want Buy and Sell to be a good resource for our members and know that it attracts quite a few new members who end up contributing to the community. I'll continue to try and refine the format to make it better.

The purpose of the q/a format is to get people to include the relevant information (like prices for items being sold) and also build in some info for buyers (like the fact that PayPal Gift is risky).

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Amin. Also, thanks for pointing to a model (like eBay) to help visualize how it works. I still liked the congenial/conversational atmosphere of asking/answering questions, but as I mentioned before, I'm completely ignorant of the overhead it puts on your volunteer mods, so I'm only speaking an opinion. You also need a workable solution, too.

Two thoughts on the new format:
    I think one of the hardest parts is I find it difficult to find the price. Sometimes when I see a lens, I just want to know if it's in my region, and the price.

Also, the format seems reversed -- the questions are bolded and the answers are in normal font, so the attention is drawn more to the questions.

One upside to not having questions posted in the thread -- you used to have to either monitor the thread, or subscribe with instant e-mail. Now with everything coming via PM, I guess that makes it easier to manage.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is definitely worth a try. I know there have been instances where a seller failed to respond to PMs. Now, if you really want to sell, you have to respond. I also agree to making the price earlier and more prominent in the thread and reversing the bold/light print. :thumbup:

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think one of the hardest parts is I find it difficult to find the price. Sometimes when I see a lens, I just want to know if it's in my region, and the price.

Dara gave me the same input today, and I changed the questionaire to put price right at the top

Also, the format seems reversed -- the questions are bolded and the answers are in normal font, so the attention is drawn more to the questions.

I made the questions display much shorter now. Will continue to try and improve it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Much better now!

12. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Amin, it looks much better now. One suggestion is to put Description section right under Prices.

A lot of time I want to see what the condition of the items are after looking at the price. I can take my time to see other pertinent info like shipping etc once I am really interested.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for your effort, Amin.

One thing I don't like is having to put "open to offers" or "firm" in the body of my sale ad. As a seller I like to be open, but I don't want to invite lowballs, but if I get lowballed I'll ignore it so that's OK too. On the other hand, if I was firm on my price then I'd simply note it. My concern is that by putting "open to offers" on my ad, then a buyer is incentivized to make lowball offers.

This isn't coming out quite clearly, so I'll try another approach.

Bargaining/negotiating/dickering, involves back and forth. By stating a price, as required by forum rules, I've already made my first volley. If I were to state a price and also indicate willingness to negotiate, then I'm making contrary statements right from the start. The contrary statements are, "I have a price", and "my price doesn't mean anything". That makes me uncomfortable.

Anyway, I'm not too much into the psychology of bargaining, other than to say that these statements force me to set a firm price so I can avoid the weak initial position of providing a meaningless first price. Now I've got a firm price and I have to progressively lower it over time because I'm not open to reasonable offers. Thus the selling process tends to take longer to arrive at "yes".

• Like Like x 1
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree solidly on two counts:

1) thank you for your efforts in making this as smooth as possible
    2) I also don't want to broadcast my negotiation position on gear

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Agree as well. One will always get offers; no reason to force a seller to describe how willing s/he will be to accept them.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It's good, let's see how the "no replies" pans out for known sellers : they can give feedback here maybe.
    Me, I like to see replies and price discussion but this might just be better.

The fill-in-the-blanks looks GREAT, but how come there are still plenty of threads without the pertinent information in the subject line?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The whole idea of keeping replies out of the thread is so that the seller doesn't have off topic posts made or buyers asking about price when this can be done through a PM. The bargaining process is done in private.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Another good suggestion. I made the switch to move it higher up - let's see how it looks.

Those options are purely optional. You can leave them all unchecked, and it will say nothing. I'll put a note in there to make this more clear.

Glad you think so. The reason soo many threads lack that info is that they were posted before the change in format occurred. Either that or the OP went back and edited the post title to remove that info.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for responding, that is a pretty good compromise.

However refusing to answer still provides information because if you want the price to be firm you'd say so, and any other response means "negotiable".

I'd prefer not to be asked at all.

I realize that you get to make the decisions and this isn't my playground. I'm not demanding anything. But I think it is important for me to provide feedback as appropriate.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One idea for answering questions, and I am not sure if it is possible, is to do it like ebay does. At the bottom of every ebay page is the ask a question link and the seller when he answers the question can post it to the auction. If that could be done it would still allow people to ask and all to see{if the seller deems the question should be added}. Of coarse as it is now the seller could still post the question and it's answer or simply add the details as needed.