No PM5 coming my way, still OK good with my EMP1

twmangrove

Mu-43 Regular
So, I'm not one to post pics often. The photos I take for work are published weekly, and the photos I do at home, well, they're snaps basically, the important stuff. But I thought I'd do a few here just because I felt an urge to espouse the merits of the little E-PM1. Especially when it's all about the E-M5 these days and Oly's little bargain basement cam has been rapidly brushed to the sidelines. The think is, when I see what it can do, I have a heck of a hard time justifying the expense of a $1,000-plus camera when I'm getting pics that I find, by and large, pretty darned satisfying coming out of a camera that costs less than a high-end point and shoot yet, when it comes to IQ and performance, appears to give you a heck of a lot more.
So I've uploaded some pics taken around town, a couple from the fall and one from the winter. A little iPhoto adjusting, but nominal - just how I like it for snaps. Oh, and all taken with the Panny 14mm, my lens of choice.

I remeber clearly my joy when I first opened the PM1 and held the little, metal-bodied wonder that was so much less than my former PL1 (in size that is). Over time I found the PM1 ticked off most of my wants from the PL1 - speedier af/shutter, improved WB, smaller size. Tacked on a snazzy leatherette skin and a flipbac grip and the Panny 14mm and, suddenly, that Fuji X100, that camera that I lusted after so long – the one that for some would get sticky blades, dust in the viewfinder and sensor – well, I got over it. Sorry champagne dreams, have to stick to the beer budget. But you know what, beer works just fine!

No camera is without its flaws. I think the thing that gets me the most with the PM1 is the LCD. I've learned to cope with the others, but I fend the LCD on the PM1, well, the wrong size for starters (4:3 or even 3:2 makes more sense for me, but no biggie). But also, it's not so great in sunlight. Or maybe it's the ACMAXX cover I have on it. Anyways, on the upside, the metering is way more reliable than the LCD. And I'm learning to use my histogram. Bugger me, that's a smart way to go about it. All of these years of shooting; who'd have thought.

Having gotten over the Fuji thing (though those Pro-1 X photos are GORGEOUS), I agree the EM5 looks like a stellar option, and one I may look into a few years from now, when the price has come down a bit and technology has moved on. I dig what I'm getting now from the PM1 and hope it lasts a while. It's given me some fantastic family snaps that have certainly paid the cost of admission for me (which is even less now - you can get decked out with a PM1 and a Panny 14mm for less than $500 now).
Anyhow, let's figure out how to attach those pics now.
Thanks for reading and enjoy your picture taking.

attachment.php
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View image in gallery

attachment.php?attachmentid=9174&thumb=1.jpg

View image in gallery

attachment.php?attachmentid=9173&thumb=1.jpg

View image in gallery

Attachments

• P2191373.jpg
    P2191373.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 266
  • PB270537.jpg
    PB270537.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 382
  • PC301000.jpg
    PC301000.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 301

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Of all the Olympus cameras I have tried my favorites were the E-PM1 and E-P3. If the E-PM1 fit my hands better I'd probably still have it. Very well thought out and executed camera.

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No need to lust after the E-M5 if you mainly shoot landscapes - IQ is the same as your E-PM1.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
I share your enthusiasm for the E-PM1! Great little strolling camera, especially when equipped with primes or smaller zooms. I thought I'd miss the controls of the larger μ43 models, but with the Super Control Panel activated, everything is there on the screen and you don't have to remember button assignments. For me, that's a very good thing, as I suffer from a severe case of CRS.

Mu-43 Legend
I decided to move to a 2X EPM1 configuration. One light, fast prime on each body, and I'm ready to go! (or perhaps 20mm on one and 40-150 on the other).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
I decided to move to a 2X EPM1 configuration. One light, fast prime on each body, and I'm ready to go! (or perhaps 20mm on one and 40-150 on the other).

Good idea! Interchangeable lenses are great, except when you have to change them in a hurry.

twmangrove

Mu-43 Regular
Interesting proposition

As the price of the PM1 continues to plummet, this option becomes more viable. Though part of the point of owning a PM1 is the small size. A PM1x2 means a bigger bag. But it would be pretty decent for those outings when it's desirable to have, say, the 14mm and the 45mm.

Thanks for thought.

Latest threads

Top Bottom