1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No Panasonic 150 2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by drd1135, Jun 5, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Mis-read. They cancelled an unannounced tele-ZOOM lens. Nothing about the 150 (read comments down further).

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I think that is a mis-statement (ie tele-Zoom). The 150 was doomed when Oly announced the 40-150.

4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Well I was wrong! Cool.

A 150 mm fixed lens is interesting.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Unless professional videographers have a need for a 150/2.8 lens, there is no real market for it. No one can make money selling this price range lens to the handful of µ4/3 hobbyists that would actually buy it.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I believe, just a guess absent any facts, that the zoom that was cancelled was the very small 35 - 100 zoom to go along with the 12 - 32 for the GM1.

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am perplexed why a 150/2.8 should be expensive. 135/2.8 designs were simple, sharp and relatively cheap.

Only if they made it with lost of special glass to make it very small could I see high cost and from the sample photos it does not look that small.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Because it's going to be a lot better than those oldies.

Perhaps you are still perplexed why the Oly 75/1.8 costs $1,000 where the Canikon 85/1.8 is $400? Yet consensus is that the Oly is worth its price.

P.S. it costs more to make optics big, not small.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's an interesting business question. A $1500 lens will never be "worth it" for me because I just won't spend that much on a lens and will never buy it regardless of the quality. It's the same reason that, with regret, I don't own a Porsche. I wonder about the marketability of $600 150 f4. The question is whether it would be enough better than the zooms with that focal length included.

Edit: Let me add that I have no issue with Olympus making more expensive high quality lenses. I just buy the lower grade product which is adequate for my needs.

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I agree, but another interesting thing I noticed looking at that photo. Look at the Nocticron mockup.

panasonic150mm_zps924c5f63.

Now compare it to an actual Nocticron.

dsc00105__largest-no-more-than-580x630.

There is so little in common that the mockup proved to be little guide to the final form of the lens.

So, maybe we cannot deduce much about the 150, from the photo.

11. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This makes sense.

12. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Yes this is true and I have one. It is OK stopped down and pretty soft wide open. Most premium m43 lenses are sharp wide open I suspect this costs $$ to achieve.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Now that Photokina 2014 is here, has anyone heard any updates on the Panasonic 150 f/2.8 prime lens being produced? Or is it still on hold? I would prefer this prime over the Oly 40-150 f/2.8, due to the anticipated smaller size and weight savings of prime vs. zoom.

Jim

14. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    The mock 150mm lens that Panasonic displayed doesn't look any smaller than the Oly 40-150mm 2.8 (compare it's size with the mock lens they had for the 42.5mm F1.2):
    panasonic_prototype_lenses_preview_02.

They would either have to make this lens much cheaper than the Oly 40-150mm 2.8 (which I doubt it will be, probably would be around $1,000-1,200, should be under $800) or make this lens F2.0 without affecting the size of it too much for it to sell well.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I would tend to agree. Seeing as my primary lens on my FF Canon was the EF 200mm f2.8, a fast tele prime is definitely something that I would pick up for m43 if it existed and was reasonably priced. I'm very happy with the Sigma 60mm f2.8 but would be thrilled if they or someone else came out with something slightly longer like a 100mm f2.8. A 150mm f2.8 would be welcome as well, but not if its this size and price. I used my 200mm for portraits and shooting cyclocross races and I realize its a bit of a niche focal length for a prime, but I really loved it (just not its size, nor that of the camera is was mounted on)

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've seen on some other rumor site that this 42.5mm f1.2 mock-up is actually for the Lumix branded m43s' version. How they can make this so much smaller than their Leica version we will all just have to wait and see. Maybe when they give us some info on the 150mm they will also inform us about the 42.5mm?

17. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    The Leica 42.5mm is a Lumix branded lens. It says Lumix on the side and Lumix G on the cap....

Full product name is "Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS"

Looking at that mockup, the size isn't actually that much smaller than the real thing. It looks a bit shorter but the width looks about the same.

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Given the timing and sequence, the mockup was surely of a Nocticron, IMHO.

When I saw the rumour that there would be some more lens roadmap info to come, I was hoping to at least hear where the 150/2.8 was at. But I think it has turned out to be only an addition of the 30mm macro to the existing roadmap.

19. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking extra time to make it smaller.

20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The best way to do that would be not to use unnecessary or cosmetic metal, and to have it telescope when not in use.