No-ouch Neck straps and camera holders!!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PhotoGrow, Aug 9, 2017.

1. PhotoGrow

PhotoGrow Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2017
    Hey Photo Friends!

I'm looking for comfy neck straps for single cameras and double camera carrying systems.

Please share your great advice!

Thank you!

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have tried a few of the major brands, now use Peak Designs. I have found all have different strengths. To me it is the weight of the system that causes most neck problems. If you done wear a shirt without a collar some straps are softer than others.

I would look at more of what features you want in the strap first.

• Like Like x 1
  3. decades

decades Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2017
    London
    I want to give a shoutout to cord weaver – great straps, great price, great responsive customer service.

I have used them on an EM-10 and a Pen-F with a 17mm or 45mm lens and could wear them comfortable all day long.

• Like Like x 2
  4. PhotoGrow

PhotoGrow Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2017
    I really don't know what features you are talking about except that I don't want it to irritate/scratch my neck and sometimes I want to carry two bodies and have the illusion of balanced (and comfortable) weight. Are there more features than that?

5. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    If a strap catches the hairs on the back of my neck, not suitable. Happy with a Classic OpTech.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fuzzdog

Fuzzdog Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2017
    Southampton, UK
    Quite happy with Peak Design stuff after trying most on the market - was extremely reluctant to pay out the money at first, then when the first PD kit arrived, I ordered more.

Although I must admit, most of my stuff was put together for my old big DSLR rig - as my lightest camera/lens combo I regularly used was about 3kg, it's a bit overspecified now that I've switched to M43, barely even feels like the camera is there half the time. :D

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    This. Neckstraps only give the illusion of hands free. The moment you stop standing still you need to hold the camera to stop it from bouncing. Either get a waistpack + handstrap (the casual approach) or, if speed is a requirement get one of the strap systems that @gryphon1911@gryphon1911 mentioned.

9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I found Black Rapid straps to be good for cameras with flip out screens. But if you want to lay the camera on the base,it is unstable. Side mounted cameras and lenses bang against stuff. Front straps get in way of flip out screen. and may hurt neck and cut off blood circulation to brain. Side mounted belt attachments torque your belt. Wrist mounts make one hand a prisoner. No perfect solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Not always. Most of the time I use a home-made glide-type sling strap. (Not all sling straps are glide straps.). The camera attachment is to a strap lug. There is an Arca-Swiss plate on the camera that slides into a home-made wire belt holster. So at that point there is no weight on my neck and the camera is secured from swinging or bouncing.

Related: The mother lode of paracord braiding is here: Stormdrane's Blog Lots of ideas that can be used for camera straps like those made by cordweaver (His prices, though, are pretty attractive)

Related: I have a bino strap that I made with a strip of neoprene wet-suit type material in the neck area. That is soft and stretchy to absorb bounces and shocks. So that is another solution worth checking.

Related: Camera straps are so easy to make exactly to what a person wants, I really don't see the need for all the angst about commercial straps and features. Just make a strap with the features you want.

• Like Like x 1
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes that is the type of feature I was thinking of, the ability to carry two bodies, the quick adjust system of peak designs, the method of attachment eg camera lugs or tripod mounting hole those sort of things. I also like the Peak Designs lugs that let you quickly use the camera without the strap or with a wrist strap instead.

Once you have your needs sorted out, look for material type to a soft, hard, or non slip strap etc.

If you do a search on strap there are many good threads on this topic.

I always wear a shirt with a good collar, that helps with neck chafing.

12. I picked up a Peak Design Slider a couple of weeks ago... and it is the most comfortable camera strap I've ever had. I've toted the em5mii around for hours with either the 12-100/4 Pro or 7-14/2.8 Pro glass and neither caused any issues. The Optima I had with my Nikon, and very briefly tried on my Oly was at best a PITA!

Length adjustments to the PD can be made on the spot. Best of all it means the lens is facing down not out like the other straps I've used. Access to the camera is a quick slide without hassle... thus the name Slider I guess!

Haven't tried any of their multi camera options but then I don't have two bodies... yet :biggrin:

The Slider comes with a Arca Swiss plate so mounting on a tripod is equally as easy. The strap itself is quite secure but can be removed easily (once you know how) is you want to attach one of their other carrying options... ie hand strap.

Peak Design... top notch imho!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
  14. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    The load which is applied to the neck and shoulder can be reduced by having a strap (or pad on that strap) which is wider than what your existing one is. The larger the weight-bearing surface, the less weight will be applied at any contact point - For instance, on a tank, the wider the tracks, the less weight (per sq Ft, M etc) is applied to any point of the road below it. Some of the elasticated or loosely woven straps will feel lighter, but as other have already mentioned, with these can also come inconveniences, because unless they also offer some way of reducing how much they 'swing' when carried, they can also chafe sensitive skin on the neck.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Stock strap works for me.

16. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2017
    I loved the look of the Holdfast Gear Moneymaker for wearing two cameras, but no way I could justify the expense. So I made one using thrifted silk neckties - I just wrote a blog post about it here:
    My Kinda Carry: how I made a dual-camera sling

• Like Like x 2