No Olympus or Panasonic lens profiles in LR classic?

Ok I might be missing something basic but I don't see Pana or Oly in the lens profiles drop-down in LR? I see every possible lens maker including some obscure ones (HMD Global, I guess that's for Nokia phones, and DJI) but not m43. Is there a special plug-in or patch...my LR otherwise is up-to-date.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Lens correction profiles for m43 lenses are included in the firmware of the lens. When the shot is captured, the camera applies them to the JPG and then saves the profile info in the raw file. Some raw processors let you chose whether to apply them or not - unfortunately, LR isn't one of them. You can't turn it off.

Try using Darktable - that lets you apply them or not.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
DxO Photolab also lets you download camera and lens profiles and disable the built-in correction. It’s pretty neat.
It's not the same thing.
DxO Photolab never applies the built in correction.
It applies its own correction, based on their own measurements (not from the lensfun database as a lot of software).

In Lightroom, you will get exactly the same correction (including the slight crop) than in camera JPEGs.
There are not so many RAW converters that really use the built in profiles.

Another thing: built in profiles don't correct distorsion to zero, they just take the distorsion to an "acceptable" level.
DxO, on the other hand, try to correct all of it.
You can't get this in Lightroom.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
In RawTherapee you can select: no correction, auto correction (by emulating built in JPEG), lensfun profile, Adobe LCP profile (can be extracted from DNG Converter), manual correction.

DxO Photolab also lets you download camera and lens profiles and disable the built-in correction. It’s pretty neat.
Yes. I did use DxO for some time and noticed the automatic downloads for camera/lens as soon as it detects the RAW files that were imported. I liked it. I somehow always go back to LR. It has been my go to editor for years and prefer the UI.

I feel it’s noise handling is much better than LR.
Definitely. That was my main draw to DxO. And it could be my desktop but the UI of DxO is sluggish and image preview after moving sliders is jerky. Surprising since LR is such a memory hog but sliders and their effects on the image are instant and "smooth". (I might not be explaining it proper).

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
sadly, same. The library management in LR is just too good, unfortunately.
Still, I will export out to PhotoLab on occasion for more complicated edits and processing. I feel it’s noise handling is much better than LR.
I also prefer the processing options in Lightroom.
When I have the need to use PhotoLab instead, I don't do any color correction and export as DNG so I can process it in Lightroom afterwards (setting noise correction and sharpening to zero in LR)
I need to set very low values in DXO though (prime at 0 or 5 max, otherwise it's too much, and optic sharpening to -2).
On my 12-32, distorsion correction is very good in DxO and I got more field of view...

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
In RawTherapee you can select: no correction, auto correction (by emulating built in JPEG), lensfun profile, Adobe LCP profile (can be extracted from DNG Converter), manual correction.
Didn't know about the Adobe LCP profile. Does it apply to m43?
Emulating built-in JPEG is quite close to the "official" built-in correction but not exactly the same.
It's probably not so easy to read the distorsion corrections in the RAW files - or maybe you need to use exactly the same algorithms to use that data...

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Didn't know about the Adobe LCP profile. Does it apply to m43?
Emulating built-in JPEG is quite close to the "official" built-in correction but not exactly the same.
It's probably not so easy to read the distorsion corrections in the RAW files - or maybe you need to use exactly the same algorithms to use that data...
For M4/3 Adobe LCP do not exist as Adobe uses RAW built-in profiles. Check https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles. Auto correction seems to work fine, and for user it is one click opperation. But I turned on automatic correction using lensfun in my default profile. Do not forget to update lensfun database using update‑lensfun‑data command in this case.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
What I understand from the way it is presented in RawTherapee, the "auto correction" checks the JPEG embedded preview and deduces the distorsion parameters to apply to the RAW.

Which means that the metadata included in the RAW file is probably not so easy to take into account.
Or they are using proprietary algorithms?
Capture One seems also to emulate the embedded correction, but it's not similar (it's a little bit like rawtherapee).
The only software that recreates exactly the embedded correction is Lightroom and it's also the only one where you can't deactivate it...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom