No Olympus offerings between 17 and 45?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TetonTom, Apr 24, 2013.

1. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I'm new to m43, and unless I'm missing something, find it kinda hard to believe Oly doesn't have a normal prime in it's line-up.
    Or am I missing something? I see a 17 and a 45, but it looks like you need to look at other brands to get a prime between those numbers.
    Or is there maybe something in the works? Seems like Oly could give us something as good as the competition...

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It is a notable gap, but they probably figure the 25/1.4 would be tough to compete with, so why bother. Doesn't bother me, I have the 17 and 45 and that's the perfect spacing for me.

3. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Yes! There's the 25mm Panasonic Leica. And the lesser 20mm Panacake. What more would you need? :thumbup::2thumbs::thumbup:

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    There's still room for say a 25mm f/1.8 pancake, although at Oly's prices I doubt it would be competitive with the reasonably priced Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 so maybe not.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Those who owns a 25 mm lens, or a 50 mm equivalent, often get a 24 mm equivalent as their wide because 35 mm equivalent isn't enough of a gap.

6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well that's the thing though: why?

You have to consider the history of M4/3s development as a primarily dual-brand system, Olympus and Panasonic being the main players. There is a lot of overlap in the zoom department because most of these lenses are old and each company needed its own set of offerings at the start. As new lenses were released, however, it made more sense for the companies to try to make their lenses complement eachother, as it strengthened the system as a whole. Olympus doesn't have any thing in that range, but on the other hand Panasonic doesn't have a single portrait prime(they have the 45mm f2.8 macro, but it's not a portrait lens per se).

In any case, it's not a big deal. While certain lenses do work marginally better on bodies of their own brand, for the most part lenses work fine on any device. The main issues are lack of CA correction from panasonic lenses on olympus bodies(easily correctable in post, although it should be unecessary), purple blobbing from the 7-14mm on the newest oly's, and lack of stabilization from olympus lenses on panny bodies. The 20mm also bands on some OM-D bodies at high ISO.

7. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    well there is 17.5mm and 25mm from Voigtlander, 20mm and 25mm from Panasonic. 19 and 30mm from Sigma, so there is plenty of lens covered in this range

8. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I know that Panasonic offers a couple great lenses in this range, and I'll probably end up getting one of them.
    Just saying from a company perspective that it's odd that Oly would leave this gap for their competitors to fill. I bet if you look at historical sales from all the major manufacturers, a 50mm equivalent lens will have been one of the real bread-and-butter items for all of them.
    Also, I'm just imagining a 50mm f/1.2 with the same styling and quality as the newest Oly primes...

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    TetonTom,

Yes, it is a notable gap. And while Panasonic & Voigtlander both offer a 25mm I am at a loss to explain why Olympus does not have one as well. Oly 12, 17, 25 & 45 would be an ideal set of primes for many of us.

- David

10. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    This pretty much sums it up.

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well that again is the interesting thing about M4/3. Olympus is competing with Panasonic, but only partially. In other words, if Panasonic suddenly went broke and no longer made M4/3 lenses, Olympus would be worse off rather than better.

Don't get me wrong though; I certainly don't think it would be bad for olympus to offer its own version. It's worth noting, however, it would probably be a relatively inexpensive 25mm f1.8 pancake, given they haven't released any faster a lens for M4/3. I too would love an f1.2 AF normal though.

My simple suspicion, as alluded to before, is that Olympus and Panasonic split their resources to provide a more complete lens and accessory system. Among primes in particular, there is really no focal length/usage overlap whatsoever. There is a lot more among the slow zooms, but I consider that to be because those tend to be more basic lens designs and simple kit lens offerings.

I think the release of the 42.5 f1.2 to sell against the wonderful 45 f1.8 will probably be the first time olympus and panasonic really have high quality lenses infringe upon eachother's territory. I don't count the 45 f2.8 because it is primarily a macro lens.

Speaking of which, I can't wait for the 42.5 f1.2 to be released. That'll give Micro Four Thirds portraits a decidedly fast APS-C/full-frame look. Not to mention Voigtlander has their own 42.5mm f0.95 on the way, for more bokehliscious goodness. I just wish they'd gone with something closer to a 100-105mm equivalent, which is my ideal portrait focal length. But I guess that's what adapted 50s are for!

12. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I'm a huge fan of the 105-ish length, and am happy I kept my Nokton 58 1.4 from my Nikon kit...

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    As ntblowz said, there are plenty of lenses in this range, just not Olympus lenses. They have to be thinking how many would they sell if they went to the trouble? Maybe a nice 22mm pancake with better IQ than the 17 f/2.8 would be interesting, especially at f/1.8 - 2.0. The price point and size would have to beat the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 to sell very many, I would think.