1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No OIS issues of 45-175 on G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by addieleman, Sep 1, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Some of us have OIS issues with the Panny X 45-175mm when using shutter speeds in the range (roughly) of 1/60...1/250s, especially on the GH2 (like me) and GX1, so it seems. This probably comes from a fast shock-like movement of the OIS part of the lens due to shutter vibration, for which the OIS cannot compensate (too many high-frequency components).

Now I'm wondering: a 45-175mm lens sample with this issue may work perfectly on a G5 when using the electronic shutter because of the lack of shutter vibration. Does anyone have such a sample and tried it out on the G5? Thanks!

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    There's a thread about this on dpreview. G5 user claims that he tried both the electronic shutter and regular shutter mode and e-shutter mode produces sharper photos. I wonder how the regular shutter compares to the old shutters though. Is the regular shutter softer and sharper still than the old ones? E-shutter does have some limitations, like max ISO of 1600 and possible jello effect, etc.
    Olympus EM5 has a softer shutter I understand. I wonder how it compares.

• Like Like x 1
  3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have an EM5 and 45-175. I've not heard of this issue but I would be glad to test it. Just let me know what I need to do.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    hmm.. well that would require you to take the same photo using your OMD and a Panasonic camera, which I see you don't have :smile:
    if you can get a hold of one and take a few identical pictures and then post them here we can then overanalyze them to see if one is sharper than another.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    When I got frustrated over and over on unsharp pictures I did a test with the GH2 on a tripod, OIS off, and noticed unsharpness at 1/250s and 1/1000s was needed to get critically sharp pics, as described here. For me it would be interesting to see how this goes on a G5 with using the electronic vs. mechanical shutter; I've read already some reports where users state that this lens suffers from the issue on an E-M5 as well. I get the feeling this lens can be extremely sensitive to shutter vibrations and only an electronic shutter will prevent those completely.

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've used my recently purchased 45-175 lens with the G3 and G5 and had no problems with either camera using standard shutter on both cameras and the electronic shutter on the G5.
    I'm aware of the issue but seems my lens doesn't exhibit this problem.
    So I can only say from my experience it works fine.
    You are right about the electronic shutter in theory it should not cause the problem even if the lens does exhibit the issue.

Heres one taken today at 1/200 with G3 though I'm afraid.

Paul

P1040580.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks. Maybe I just have to send in the lens to Panasonic's repair shop. I guess it'll be back, fixed or not, before I'm willing to buy a GH3, that is after a number of users don't report problems. Panasonic is obviously capable of making 45-175mm lenses without OIS issues.

8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    You need to clean your sensor :)

9. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    How obvious is it when you get it? Is it noticeable with normal viewing or only when you view at say 100%?

Paul

10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Your right, I just noticed those spots too and now on some other pics taken today, thanks, :eek:

Paul