No new Photoshop CS7- Creative Cloud only

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ranger Rick, May 6, 2013.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Don't know how you feel about this, but I'm dropping out of the Adobe "community" with their announcement today that there will be no new CS7, only a rental-based ($240/year and no access without rental) paradigm.

While I understand why they want to do this from their perspective, I have no intention of paying $20/month forever to rent their software. Yes, it may be good, but it makes no sense for me to pay at that rate and have no access to anything if I were to stop stop paying the ransom.

I've downloaded Pixelmator and Snapheal (Mac) and will work with those. I realize some may need Photoshop for their livelihood or creative process, but Adobe's greed means a parting of the ways. I'll be able to work with alternatives.

Your thoughts?
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I'll just keep using CS2.
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I'm with you on this one. I'm currently using CS5 with Lightroom4.4. I'm usually one to upgrade with each version, but even with academic pricing, Photoshop is just too expensive for how I use it. Looks like perhaps I should consider upgrading to CS6 and plan on staying there forever....

Last time I tried PS Elements, it was x86 (no x64) only, and no 16-bit processing. This made me jump to Photoshop, and I've learned enough that I can easily do what I need to.

I think Adobe's making a mistake going subscription only. It might be a bargain for professionals who use Photoshop and its cousins to full advantage. But for occasional users like me, it's a large, ongoing expense that's just too much for my budget.
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    CS5 and Gimp both work perfectly for me for now.
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I use Adobe's Creative Cloud and I am happy with it. I use primarily Dreamweaver and PhotoShop and it is a bargain rather than upgrading multiple apps. If you are not interested in the latest CSx then the new policy is a bummer. I think those who use LR as a stand alone product may be the ones that scream the loudest though.
  6. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I use Adobe products at work because I must (I'm a PrePress professional).

For personal use I've cut my ties to Adobe years ago. Lousy support, stupid pricing, and just generally a bad company to deal with.

There are many alternatives these days, you don't have to deal with Adobe if you don't want to.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Personally, I'm fine with it. The internet as a community, for all it's whining, is at fault for this shift. As I see the Creative Cloud, it's a 3 pronged attack on piracy, revenue stabilization, and innovation. Should Photoshop CC work, and Adobe does right by it's subscribers, they will be years ahead of any competition. If it doesn't we may well see a backtrack by December or so, and a standard liscense of CS7 (or whatever they'll call it) will be out. I'd expect it to be heavily cut in features, or updates to what the CC member will get though, but more powerful then Elements.

Personally, I would love to see programs for specific uses merged in to cheaper bundles. EG, a photographers pack (I'd suggest PS, LR, and ID, as the ones I use), Graphic design pack, and so on. I realize you can just rent out one program, but I think they'd make a killing at targeting specific demographics at like a $34.99/month price point for the programs that we'd really use.

At this point, I'd cut my cable before Creative Cloud. Then again, I'm fine with buying $1k+ lenses... bit of a 1st world problem I suppose.
  8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've got CS6 one one machine and CS5.1 on another, along with the Nik filters and Nik's Capture NX2 (a product created for Nikon), and a lot of other standalone programs that I won't even go into. Those will probably be my mainstay from here on out, primarily because I see my revenue sources drying up as I near retirement. I sure can't pay to rent the stuff that Adobe wants to rent.
  9. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    It depends on how often they plan to update. If it is $240 a year then it would take 3 years for it to come out to be what the full price is of CS6 currently. So in retrospect that's not extremely bad. My question though is, lets say your internet goes out for a day or 2 for some freak accident or something. Will you still be able to use it?
  10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    As a simple hobbyist, this is going to be too expensive. I'll keep using LR 4.4 and PS CS6 for as long as I'm able, then I'll have to either switch to some crappy alternative or give up on photography all together.
  11. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    But that 3 year payback is based on buying a brand new software package, not upgrades, which have been in the $179-199 range.

And worse than that, the point you mention- if you cannot access Adobe's server to verify you are part of the "community" (what B.S.ers they are), you're locked out. Internet down- can't use it; traveling and no internet access where you are- can't use it. See Thom Hogan's piece:

Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site

But if you can afford it and want it, that's a personal choice. Choice is good. Think of all the free time not having to keep up on blogosphere.
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I currently use PS Elements. Hopefully this will continue as an independent product.
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The licensing check-in is monthly. This is not "always on" DRM. That would be suicide.
  14. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    As a fellow hobbyist, I agree with you 100%! I refuse to pay a monthly fee (ransom) to use software. I'll keep using LR4 and CS (5 in my case). As long as I don't upgrade my gear, there's no need to upgrade the Adobe software either.

As for switching to "some crappy alternative", it wouldn't surprise me if another software developer fills the breach eventually. I think that Adobe's ill-conceived decision will create a whole new market for their competitors.
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have CS6 ... I only use Photoshop to polish off my images ... I guess now I'll polish in Aperture.
  16. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Bit of poor and incomplete info on your part. Once the PS is on the machine and verified paid for the month, it will work without internet connection. Obviously, Cloud features won't work, but you didn't get those with CS anyway.

Source: I used PS with a Creative Cloud subscription for 2 weeks when internet lines were down in my area with no problems.
  17. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I think Adobe needs to have a 2-tier subscription service to broaden their sales potential. If you're using it for commercial use, you pay the top tier price. If you're using it for personal use, you pay the lower tier price.

If anything, the lower tier should be $9.99/month for access to one program and $19.99/month for access to the full suite. Any more and people won't even consider it.

Just my 2 cents.
  18. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The CAD world has had to live with this kind of annual extortion since the beginning of time. I'm just surprised that it's taken them this long to figure out the marketing model.
  19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Does this include LightRoom too, or just Photoshop CS?

I'm really not at all on board with monthly fees to use software :frown:
  20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    You are absolutely right that this policy is an 'attack' on 'innovation'.

The previous package meant Adobe had to 'innovate' or 'die'. Nobody had to 'buy' their upgrades, so if they hadnt improved the product, noone would have bought their next version.

Now, of course, you are locked into Adobe, paying them every month whether they improve the product or not. They certainly have a much reduced incentive to innovate.

I cant help thinking that their product is inherently pretty mature and the company was running out of ideas how to 'innovate' the product enough going forward that customers would 'pay' for 'upgrades'.

The pricing seems pretty attractive. As a CS6 user I can join just for Photoshop for US$10 a month. I cant help feeling that pricing wont last long.

Lightroom is going to remain a stand alone product which is good. My mind you I think that Google is going to blow it out of the water when it integrates Nik into Picasa especially as their product will probably be free.