1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No new Pens for a while, just new Olympus compact cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by applemint, Feb 13, 2012.

1. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Looks like no new pens are on the immediate horizon (so buying an E-PL3/E-PM1/EP3 model now should mean you still have the latest model for a few more months at least. :biggrin:

"Looking to the future, Olympus pointed to the release of its OM-D E-M5 in late March, adding: 'Several new compact models are scheduled for successive launches from spring, using [the] same image processing technologies as micro SLRs [sic] for high sensitivity, low noise and fast autofocus.' "
    Olympus halves digital camera operating loss; sales rise (update) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

I assume they mean new top end compact cameras with m43 features - eg a new/updated XZ-1?

2. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Pens will get the 16 mpix sensor in late summer. Whether or not they get 5 axis will remain to be seen, but I believe the DxO smackdown of the "new" Oly sensor will mean they need to get this chip to market in all iterations as soon as possible.

Just my 2รง.