1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

No more Luma Loops/Loopits! :(

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phrenic, Nov 14, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It seems there are patent issues with the sliding camera strap system.

Luma Labs — An open letter to our customers, past and future

Very unfortunate. I really enjoy my loopit, but it seems that there will be no more. Anyone have any ideas if it's possible to source the hardware? I believe the mount is from an army rifle attachment but I've had no luck googling it.

I need one more strap..might have to try one of the ebay/madeinChina rapidstrap imitations.

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That's really sad. There are several companies that offer similar products. I wonder how they will be effected. I'd also like to find out who patented this. I've got some experience in dealing with patents, and I'm suprised a patent was granted for a sling strap. Sling straps have been around for years to be used with various types of things.

I actually use this one, and I've been very happy with it. I use it with a black rapid tripod connector.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    This happens all the time in my business as well. There was a recent change to the patent law that makes this even worse in that we've gone from a first to invent standard to a first to file approach. This makes it easy for big agencies to get wind of something innovative being worked on, and quickly spend the money to apply for the patent on someone else's idea. They no longer have to prove they were first with the idea, just the first to have the money to spend on getting a patent. Great for the big guys, and very bad for the small inventor. It really is a license to kill in terms of ignoring prior art, and corrupts the whole constitutional basis for patents as a means of advancing society by encouraging invention. Some of the biggest patent collections in the country are now held by banks so you can see where this is going.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's a terrible situation in the tech sector and there are so many stupid struggles over IP with hardware and software (see Samsung v Apple) but I didn't think I would see it in the niche industry of photo accessories.