Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JoepLX3, Sep 6, 2010.

1. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    That means if everbody doesn't like them, then we will of course stop...

But this thread is not to announce the end, it is created to gather some feedback on the interviews we have been doing so far. So please let us know what you think and also feel free to let us know what we should change to improve.

So besides the anonymous poll, we also appreciate one line feedback in this thread, for example:
    • It is very interesting to read more about the people on this forum
    • This way we get to know each other better for tighter friendships
    • It further improves the atmosphere on this forum
    • I am also willing to share my story with people here
    • I would also like to help and interview somebody
    • It is nice, but so difficult to find...

Interviews so far:

And here some other interviews done by Amin Sabet and Streetshooter
    Member Interviews - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Oh, also tell us how much you actually read!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Joep, I voted positive as I like to read the interviews and it gives a realness to the forum and we can better connect with each other. It creates a sense of friendship.

One point I would like to make is that we don't have them to often. I felt that in the last 3 interviews they kind of were to close together and we didn't have time to appreciate all the work the interviewed person put into it. I have even read the interviews a couple of times to understand and appreciate the effort put in. I guess what I'm saying is the same as if we just finish reading a book and then start straight into another with out even assimilating and enjoying what we just read.

But by all means, don't stop. You and Herman have done a great job and I respect you for that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I have really enjoyed reading the interviews section, and would miss them greatly if they ceased.

My deepest thanks goes to those who have been involved in the interviews so far, I read Amin's first one with Ian months ago and was so suprised to find a human, candid, photographers journey that it was honestly one of the primary factors to me bookmarking this site.

It must be a burden of responsibility to keep the ball rolling, but those of you who are helping create this resource are doing a fantastic job; and I cannot be alone in appreciating it.

Iconindustries makes a good suggestion regarding their regularity, they have recently come thick and fast, which is a boon to us "consumers" but if it burns out our admins; I would be more than happy to have them as a monthly feature.

Keep up the good work, and regardless of what happens, thanks for what has come so far.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Joep, Herman etc.
    Keep doing your interviews. They are enlightening as well as entertaining at the same time....
    • Like Like x 3
  5. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    The "no more interview" was just to catch attention, so don't worry, we keep them going, but feedback will enable us to improve.

Slowing down a little probably makes a lot of sense, but my personal opinion is that in that case it should be easier to find. Because after one day it is not on the list of most recent posts any more and if you don't post in the thread yourself it can become pretty difficult to find.
    - Am I thinking about / creating a problem that actually doesn't exist?
    - Or do you have ideas on how to resolve this most properly?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, on all the hard work on both the interviewer's and the interviewee's parts. However, I do think you might want to give more substantial time between them as it does give people more time to read and think more about what they've read.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    It's not the interviews I mind so much.
    It is this idea of confusing forums with friendship. For me it goes hand in hand with the habit - I've never seen it done anywhere else to this extent - of thanking each and everyone for just about any post, even totally insignificant one-liners.

Nothing against a little light hearted banter while we're talking photography. But basically I'm here for the exchange of factual information, know-how, helpful tips. And if somebody wrote something really helpful, which they obviously took a lot of trouble with, I might even thank them. But I would take the time to write it out, as a post or pm, not simply press a friggin, impersonal button. I am not on Facebook, and that is a very conscious decision, not negligience.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I voted neutral.

I have been the subject of an interview and have read a number of them. Some have been interesting and others less so. In other words I treat each interview on its idividual merits.

I agree that there needs to be more time between interviews.

I think possibly interviews should be compiled off-line and edited before publishing as an entity and then seeking feedback/interaction with forum members.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I voted positive.
    What do we do if, after reading an interview, we have burning questions for the interviewee?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have voted positive as I think that it is a great way for all of us to get to know one another. Please keep it up!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    I like 'em. :]
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Feel free to post your questions. It stays interactive that way.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm neutral on the issue. I'm not quite sure how I feel about 'friendships' developed over an impersonal forum. I'm fairly private by nature in terms of personal details, although I do enjoy sharing whatever knowledge I've acquired over the years. Took me a long time to reveal my real name, and my location. I can't say I've read the interviews so far in much detail. If I develop actual friendships that get to the point of sharing those types of personal details, they'd have to be through personal contact with local photogs, not over the internet. Sorry, I'm old-fashioned in that way.

Having said that, my opinion shouldn't matter since I'm not the intended audience for these interviews.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I haven't read any on this site, but I have read them before. Usually, though, I really like a lot of samples of a photographers work along with the interviews. Again, I haven't looked at them on this site, but if you haven't -- then please include samples and the interviewer discussing the shots. That's where I learn the most.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As a former interviewee I found the experience an interesting one.

what, to me, worked with mine was that there was a sense of conversation with my interveiwer - streetshooter. Some of the more recent ones seems to have been more question and answer.

having photos as part of the interview might be a good idea - but not as the focus of the interview - just because it is often hard to talk endlessly about the images... images are for the eyes not the ears

• Like Like x 3
  16. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Good feedback, we will at least take more time between the interviews for sure.

Like Streetshooter stated, post them, we would like to see more interaction too!!!

For me interviewing Grebeman was also an interesting experience. Being interviewed actually felt not too special for me...

Herman and I compiled the interview of me offline, but personally I don't think that worked out very well, it kind of "kills" the public experience...

Interview is of course not only about learning, but information also attracks reading. Good idea!!!

Two open ends so far (next to more time in between interviews and including discussion of some example photo's):
    • How to get more interaction?
    • How to get more attention?

Thanks for feedback so far, keep it coming (if preferred then via PM is of course also OK)!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a good interview is the one where there is a rapport or indeed a tension between the interviewer and the interviewee...
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That sounds about right. The reader should be wanting to read more and actually be hungry for the questions and answers....
    as in the Inverse Square Law we deal with in photography, with the interviews....Less Is More....
    • Like Like x 3
  19. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    For me this forum is about sharing ideas & time, but of course everybody has a different goal. But a pleasant stay and successful search are to my impression the success factors of a forum. If it would only be about finding then why would other people provide answers? It is about "us".

Hmm, I don't disagree with the target, but "we" might have to settle with less and still enjoy...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Interesting replies.:thumbup:
    There is a huge demand to continue with the polls. (acc to voting)

Should we decrease the number of questions? What about a mini weekend interviewl?
    To read during the weekend, a very short "in the spotlight" interview.

To keep the "idea" of such polls better "alife" it "deserves" (and needs) a better "outlet". (my personal opinion)
    This was discussed with the administration team before.
    My suggestion: add a new menu item for "members interviewing members".:rolleyes: :bravo-009:

CC welcome !