1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

No longer an M43 owner, OM-D went back

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TexChappy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I’m afraid I had to take back the Om-D E-M5. I really think the one I had was faulty. Here’s an example of what I got on my last shoot (13 of 16 were like this)...

P7130115.

I’m a little hesitant to try again just now.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    What lens where u using? Did u try manual focusing?

No doubt, either the camera or the lens is faulty.

Its a great camera...... i.would give it another chance :-/

3. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    It was the kit 12-50.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's un-good :(

5. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Is there any explanation to this other than I had a bad copy of body or lens?

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Doubtful. Except .... Did you ever use the macro function of this lens? I've only used it once and I have to stop and think about how to implement it and I can't remember if you have to manually take it out of macro or if just manually or autofocusing the lens makes it pop out of the macro mode. Could you possibly have left it in macro mode? :smile:

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    13 out of 16 shots looking like that certainly seems bad.

Did you ever purchase a faster lens as suggested?

If you really want a smaller rig, then you can make m43 work, but it might take some re-learning, and some effort. If size isn't that important to you, stick with your DSLR.

8. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I got the Oly 45 here next to me waiting to go back but I ran out of time to try it before the camera store closed on the last day they’d take it back. I did try macro mode but it was definitely back down in regular mode.

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

f/6, 1/80th, iso 800

Somethings gotta be wrong with that lens. Was the lens focusing as you looked through the finder or at the rear screen? :confused:

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Edit: question was already asked and answered

11. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Seemed to be to me Nueces but then I never did seem to see the EVF as clearly as I would like. Just thought that bit was from coming from a DSLR though.

12. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I had a problem with my E-M5 and 12-50 not focusing properly; turned out that the zoom ring was not fully in the M zoom position. The shots I got were much like the one posted above until I reseated the zoom ring.

13. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    If any vendor had one available I might be open to trying it with the O45 I have sitting in the box. Won't go back to the local camera store though.

14. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have been very happy with my OMD EM5 so far. My only complaint has been slow focusing with Panasonic Lenses (especially the slower zooms).

15. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Its funny I've had exactly what you've been describing happen to me today when using the Panasonic 25mm, seems to decide it doesn't want to focus, its quite irritating.

16. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Has me wondering if CDAF is a mature enough technology. But I don’t know enough about it to say that other than a layman’s ignorant conjecture.

17. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Before I pull the trigger on a Fuji X100 and send the OLY 45, is there anything out there in M4/3 would that comes close to the OMD since I don’t know when they are available and I want a camera around in the near future (since I don’t have one right now)?

18. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I believe Olympus optimized their most recent generation of lenses for CDAF (in particular the OMD system) so they focus fast. I have never had a problem with focus hunting on any of my Oly lenses. My Panny lenses have the issue sometimes, especially the 45-175 in less than ideal lighting.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you didnt like the omd af, i am not sure you will at all get along with fuji!

What about a nikon j or v1? Though high ISO is not its strong suit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The OMD is in stock right now from Amazon: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074WDFOK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0074WDFOK">Link</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mu43-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0074WDFOK" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />

If even 1% of people had the kind of autofocus failure you had, we'd see reports all over the place. Looks like you got a rare lemon. I recommend giving it another chance before moving on.

• Like Like x 1