1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No infinite focus on 43 70-300 on m43 with adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pjcard, Aug 28, 2012.

1. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Just brought a 43-m43 adapter and a 43 70-300 lens to use with my camera, very happy with it except for one major issue: can't focus on objects at the infinity point. I know this happens with macro spacers, but surely it shouldn't happen with just an adapter? I'm thinking one component must be faulty, but which - camera, adapter or lense? I would think the camera is OK because it works with other lenses, so my guess would be the lense.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Which adapter are you using? Is it the Olympus MMF2 or MMF3, Panasonic DMW-MA1, or a Viltrox Jy-43 knockoff? All of these have the electrical feed-thru to allow auto-focus with the 70-300. The Olympus and Oanasinic, being factory, shiould work properly and all rthe info that I've seen about the Viltrox is that it also work,.

If you are using a generic plain metal tube 4/3-M4/3 adapter, they could have made it too long, which prevents infinity focus.

3. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi, I'm actually using the Jy-43, but I've measured and it appears to be an exact copy of the MMF-1*. Apart from this specific issue, it focuses well, so I guess the contacts are OK. What I've found is that both manual and auto focusing won't allow me to bring the far distance into focus, but if I very gently manually focus it by turning the actual tube (not the focus by wire) it will focus at the very end of it's travel.

*not surprising, given these knockoffs come about because the factories in China that make the real product often sell the tools they use to do so to others to make the fakes.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Note: Takes more than the craftsmans tools to make quality product.

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I've used the 70-300 with Panny adapter on my E-PL2, E-PM1 and OM-D and never had this problem occur. First thing I'd suspect is the adapter, especially if it's one of those cheap made-in-China kludges from eBay.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I don't think it should matter, but have you put the latest FW into the 70-300?

FYI, my Panasonic adapter checks out as 19.2 mm thick using a cheap Harbor Freight digital caliper.

7. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks everyone, didn't find there'd be many to help me with such a specific problem but this is a gem of a forum! :)

True enough! I thought given that all it was was a plastic spacer and some contacts I'd risk it for the saving, so far it's nice and tight (being loose and having misaligned contacts is a common problem with them, apparently), but it is possible it's still the cause of this issue. I'll be getting my hands on a real MMF-2 tomorrow, if it fixes it I'll buy it, return the copy and post here.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping someone could confirm.

I eventually thought to a look, and it was 1.4. I think that's the latest? Camera (E-PM1) is 1.0. But, I've discovered I can't extend the lens to a point where it'll focus even by manipulating the lense to end of it's travel itself (i.e., not using focus-by-wire), so I guess it must be either the adapter or lense.

Thanks for the measurement, I'll check with my somewhat less accurate tape measure when I get home.

8. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    So, tried the MMF-2 (more on that here: https://www.mu-43.com/f40/olympus-mmf-2-vs-viltrox-jy-43f-32333/) and it didn't make a difference. Also contacted olympus over email and had this discussion:

So it's definitely not the adapter, and given that I can't even physically manipulate the focus into a position where it's clear for the circumstances mentioned I do not see how it can be the camera.

So it's going back. To be honest, I'm not surprised it is damaged as it was packed so poorly that it's journey from San Francisco to Darwin was sure to have killed it, and I said as much to the seller (along with a bit more!) :redface:

Thanks all.