No GAS and proud of it!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Joltinjess, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    I've had my E-pl1 for about 2.5 years now. I've also picked up the 40-150mm, a legacy 50mm, a flash and a bag. One day I"ll upgrade to the E-M5, when the price is right in a year or 2.

I'm proud of myself for not getting wrapped up in the GAS part of this hobby, which seems extremely easy to do. I definitely have my moments when I think " I need a 70-300mm" or "I need a view finder". But those feelings quickly pass. For the most part I know that anything lacking in my photos is my fault, not my gears.

Anyone else out there with a small amount of gear but big passion for the hobby? How long have you been doing it?

Why no GAS? Money? Would your partner kill you? LOL.

• Like Like x 3
  2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Having GAS is at least part of the fun of photography! BUt the money I've gone through?

3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    That's been my problem ever since I got into photography. Being a gear head, naturally i wanted every new camera that came out. After a few cropped, full frame, and m43 cameras.

I can say, I've been GAS free for 2 months with no desire to get anything else. Sure feels good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Understood 100% but....I do have some things in my signature block that are essential to my shooting needs.

- M. Zuiko 75-300
    - M. Zuiko 17/45/75
    - Leica 25mm

The rest is admittedly GAS :redface:

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Every time I resist the GAS, Oly or Panasonic go and release some tasty new stuff! I'm really trying hard to ignore the E-M1 !

6. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Two reasons for no GAS in my case:

- My camera bag is full, I can't carry any more lenses than I have :)

- The question: Do I buy some new equipment or do I use the money to go somewhere nice with the equipment I already have :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M1 unlocks the performance I wanted with the 50-200. Missing shots due to focus issues was an annoyance. My GAS just went way down with this body, it makes the lenses I have perform the way I had hoped when I picked up the E-M5.

8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    This is a very good reason indeed not to buy more equipment - the whole point, after all, of this format is that it is small and light...

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I put myself on a $100/month budget in Jan 2011. At the moment I'm overspent by $500, so I have 5 months to wait before I can afford to think about shopping again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I can technically say I am not spending any on GAS anymore. I sell before I buy anything ;)

I came from FF, I was not buying any for the last 2 years I owned FF, then I sold everything to buy E-M5 and lenses, sold everything again including my gitzo tripod and lee filters and bought Fuji.

I am currently have a surplus and eyeing a Ricoh GR. Let's see if I could last the week without buying it hehe

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    OTOH, it is also a reason to get a bigger camera bag :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The thread right below this one was titled "GAS=new lens time". Thus the universe maintains balance.

• Like Like x 4
  13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

To be fair I had been gas free in the m4/3 realm for a year, and since February in general.

14. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I sold up Canon gear to get into m43 and most all of the funds spent so far were what I got from the sales.

I will be purchasing the EM1 as it has some things the EM5 was missing. I have someone who will purchase one of my EM5's so it will be a smaller outlay. I will then assess the lenses I currently own and if some are not being utilised enough they will be sold.

The biggest decision I currently have is whether to sell the panny 12-35 for the oly 12-40. I understand it focuses faster and that extra reach would also be nice. Also like the distance scale available on it. Hmmmmmmm

15. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I am a recovering GAS patient. Have been able to resist the lure od the em1 so far though the oly 12-40's pull is strong.

One way I overcome GAS is to remember that I have not enough space in my dry box for any more equipment.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Bought e-pm1 with kit lens 10 months ago. Only bought a legacy 50mm and p20.

I have GAS and i do feel i would benefit from better sensor (and ability to use higher ISO) but the prices in Croatia are too high. I was on the verge of buying oly 40-150 but i told myself i need to improve my skills a bit more before making even minor investments in gear. It helps that wifey is not sharing my interest in this hobby. From time to time, i get the itch to buy stuff (especially when i see good offers here on ep5 and samyang 7,5) but the tax and customs would almost equal the price we have here.

I'm seriously considering buying the fl600r soon, although i know nothing about flashes, i like taking pics while at house parties, and i hate flat faces i get with kit flash.

17. marrkede

marrkede New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2013
    New York
    It's difficult to spend anymore witohout gas.Anyhow it's good to back again after long term head injury.Thanks to everyone.

18. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I think I've fixed my GAS for the time being. If I need the latest and greatest camera, I will also have to update my software. If I have to update my software, I will need to update my computer. If that camera is bigger than the one I now got, I will need to get a new bag as my current one will be that bit too small.
    I have all the lenses that I need.

19. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    I've been shooting my E-P1 for years now, will wait till it breaks or the price of the E-P5 drops to below $400 before upgrading. I probably have more lenses than I need (mostly cheap), but not buying anything more (unless Oly comes out with an affordable 25mm pancake).

So bottomline, the majority of my photographic passion is satisfied shooting my E-P1 with my Sigma 30... very modest gear.

I've shot a lot of Canon-L and Leica in the past... enjoying just shooting now and not worrying about getting the ultimate... it really rarely matters. When I compare actual photos I took with my plastic Canon 50/1.8 to those taken with my Summicron 50, the difference in lens quality was very rarely what made the difference between an ok photo and a great photo.

I've been in photography 30+ years.

20. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I'm usually a notorious GAS-er until I find exactly what I want and then I'm fine. And not just with cameras ... with guitars I went through a good 20 guitars and 30 amps before I found the setup that worked and then I was fine. With bikes I went through about a dozen before I settled on "the one." With cameras I was really looking for that "magic formula" as well and it took a good amount of searching, but I'll be honest, now that I have the new Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC to attach to my 5D MkIII, I no longer really want for much in the way of camera gear. For m4/3 I've got my GX1 and a few good lenses and that makes for a helluva compact rig that I can keep in the car in case something crosses my path that just needs to be photographed. I'm surprised to say that the GX-7 and EM-1 have not really grabbed my attention whereas in the run-up to their release (and before I nabbed those two amazing lenses for my Canon rig) I was planning on dropping the cash for one or both of them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm proud that I'm not GAS-ing any longer, but I am happy that I now appear to have all (actually, much more) that I need for this hobby and can concentrate on improving skills rather than improving tools.

:2thumbs: