No-brainer, E-P1 or E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CiaranCReilly, Jun 21, 2013.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I just got delivery of a brand new E-PM1 + 15mm bodycap lens from The Netherlands - as seen on "Hot deals" recently - and really really like the camera. Only taken a dozen shots indoors so far, but not 100% convinced about the 15mm yet, will have to wait and see.

Although I've had many good shots with the E-P1, I really only need one body and guess it's a complete no-brainer to sell my E-P1, what with faster AF, 2x screen resolution, better sensor and faster operation.

I think I'll miss some of the controls - has anyone else made the change from E-P1 or E-P2 to E-PM1 or 2? Any thoughts on your experience?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Theres a few old threads of E-P1's debating the fate of their beloved body in the face of an incoming younger/faster model.

Eventually many sell but some can't bear to part with it as its just such a lovely object in its own right (putting aside the relentless march of technological progress).

Expectation around resale value also plays a part, will the money you get for it balance the usefulness of a second body ?

I tend to use my E-P1 (I've got an E-PM1 & G3 too) with adapted lenses - it pairs nicely with the Samyang/Rokinon fisheye.
  3. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Progress! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems...

It is a very beautiful object, one of the prettiest PENs still I think, especially in silver with black wrap... Looking at eBay it looks like the E-P1 still commands a decent enough price in Europe (many completed at €100+), so I guess I'll see how useful the second body is over the next few weeks. Thanks!
  4. keko

keko Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    I owned an E-PM1 for a while, nice body, except mine had trouble with the IBIS, which seems to be not uncommon. That and the overall better controls and larger display made me sell the E-PM1 and keep the E-P1. However I own an E-m5 so I only use it as a second body.
    AF and overall responsiveness seemed better on the E-PM1.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Ciaran... I'm not sure you really have a problem here. Unless your ownership of both the E-P1 and E-PM1 creates a financial hardship of some kind, I would urge you to keep both bodies and use each when most appropriate. And enjoy.
  6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have both these cameras and would definitely not sell the EP1. Although it can be slower to focus and the AWB is not as good as the EPM1, I have some attachment to it. If I take photos of events, I will use both cameras with primes and FP flashes attached.

The autofocus of the old EP1 is not that bad and one just works around it. For the money you would earn from a sale it may be better to keep it. I still prefer to use it over the mini due to the superior controls and handling. My main use for it nowadays is street photography where a hyper-focal setting is set in advance. Once that limitation is removed, the cameras are essentially the same. Same sensor, same output in RAW.

I have probably used both cameras a similar amount and the EP1 shows no signs of wear and tear. The same cannot be said for the mini. All the chrome on the top plastic plate is coming off due to handling. It actually looks much older than the EP1.
  7. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    I own a EP-M as a second camera to my OM-D and I love it: it goes with me most of the time with a Panasonic 20 f/1.7. With this lens is not really pocketable except with some large coats, but it has found its place in my iPad bag. Even though it doesn't have all controls at hand, I use aperture priority most of the time, that can be controlled easily with the back dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I have both, I will NEVER sell my e-P1
    The e-pM1 loses ISO 100 Jepgs which are vital to me, and also changes the colours a little, which for me is related to the ISO thing and Sky colour so again, a disadvantage.
    If I need the faster focus, faster FPS, art-filter bracketing (which is wonderful) I'll use the e-pM1, otherwise for outdoor daylight use it'll always be e-P1 with the 17mm lens.

So ... keep both, use both. Buy a VF-2 ASAP for your e-pM1.
  9. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Thanks for all the responses :smile:

I guess it does make sense to keep both, at least until I get a chance to upgrade to OMD or E-P5 :biggrin:
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Just to note, there is a thread about a dozen or so new e-p1 bodies going for $90 on eBay. They all sold pretty quickly. Lots of love still out there for the E-P1.
  11. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Back in the Micro 4/3 again after selling my PM1 and all the lenses I build up and returning my E-M5 to Olympus. I couldn't resist on the 90 dollar brand new E-P1 body and then got a 17mm F2.8 from Cameta, I'm just gonna leave it at that one body, one lens, my LX7 will take care of wide angle work which took over the compact spot my RX100 occupied that I recently sold.