No birds, but lots of cicadas.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
On a very hot late November's day the birds stayed somewhere cooler out of sight while the cicadas were out in force (another bumper year with the last being 2013).

A 'Yellow Monday Cicada' on a Terpentine Tree (Syncarpia glomulifera).

KB282296-s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A small crop of the above.

KB282296-scr.jpg

'Redeye Cicada' on the same tree.

KB282299-s.jpg

Small crop of the above.

KB282299-scr.jpg

I'm unsure about this one, but may be 'Black Prince Cicada' (on one of the Eucalypts).

KB282302-s.jpg

Small crop of above.

KB282302-scr.jpg

Here's a taste of the sound of them.

All the Australian cicada names can be found here. https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/...-cicada-names/

All taken with E-M1 II & 100-400 f/5-6.3 lens.

:drinks:

Last edited:
There is something so primal, to my ear, about the sound of cicadas! Where I live, we don't hear them often, but I feel both excited and a tad apprehensive when they call. Thanks for including the video for sound 👍

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We used to call the "red eye" a "black Prince" when I went to school.
Good to see another good year but they don't cover the tree trunks like they used 40+ years ago. I remember we used to fill those coloured net plastic bags you used to buy fruit in and empty a few bags in the class rooms for a bit of fun.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
We used to call the "red eye" a "black Prince" when I went to school.
Good to see another good year but they don't cover the tree trunks like they used 40+ years ago. I remember we used to fill those coloured net plastic bags you used to buy fruit in and empty a few bags in the class rooms for a bit of fun.
Yes, that was a point of confusion for me, but apparently it refers to yet another species (variation). Incidentally, the black redeye comes out looking very pale & then darkens.

Real Name
John ...
There is something so primal, to my ear, about the sound of cicadas! Where I live, we don't hear them often, but I feel both excited and a tad apprehensive when they call. Thanks for including the video for sound 👍
I just love that sound, Melanie. Like the bees in the callistemon and eucalyptus viminalis in our front yard.

Sounds that date back around 350-400 million years.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I just love that sound, Melanie. Like the bees in the callistemon and eucalyptus viminalis in our front yard.

Sounds that date back around 350-400 million years.
We were lulled to sleep with them last night (11pm), until there were a few flashes of lightning. They stopped for that. ;)
I know how to silence them at night now (maybe) with my flash, but there were probably rumbles of thunder too.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
They can be a little noisy when there little minds are on making more cicadas, Ross ... :rofl: .
Like this? ;) This one looked like it was too much for him. :blush:
Took with my my phone on my morning walk.

20201129_082443-s.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom