1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No AF-ON on E-PL5--Any Work-Around?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mohun, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    As a Nikon DSLR owner and a Panny GX1 owner, I'm beginning to be interested in the E-PL5 because of its body IS and its greatly superior EVF (to the Panny), but the missing element for my shooting style is the lack of an AF-ON button on the E-PL5. I never did develop the touch for the half press of the shutter button to focus followed by remaining pressure needed to fire the shutter. My style is to focus first and shoot when the timing is right and I don't have the feel for combining the two functional elements at or near the same time.

I've looked at the instruction msnual and the AEL/AFL options seem to permit some sort of lock for AE using the Fn button but any option for an AF lock that would effectively permit a conventional AF-ON operation like that provided by the Nikons and the Panny seems to have been foreclosed.

Has anyone come up with a work-around?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes, just assign your AE/AF button to your record button then change your AEL/AFL mode from MODE 1 to MODE 3.

You should be able to use your record button as your AF button.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. glasslens

glasslens New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    Can you let me know how to assign the record button as the AF button? Thanks in advance.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's at the top of the B Menu section.

5. glasslens

glasslens New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    I just used this setting and went out trying to shoot some bees, with the AF button assigned to the Movie Record button.

After some trial and error I think I now understand what this button does. It just holds the image in place for you (as if you're holding your breath to keep very still) to reduce motion blur and ensure focus. Once I got to grip with it, it seems to work very well.

I'm still not too sure as to how exactly I should make the most of the AEL/AFL setting (true noobness is showing now, apologies!), but hopefully someone will come along and explain!:thumbup:

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    This technique is very handy when you want to prefocus or just want to separate focusing with shutter. That way your camera won't refocus when you press the shutter.

There are probably a lot of articles/blogs that cover this subject. Just search for "Back button focusing"