NLE of Choice

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by D7k1, Apr 29, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    So at NAB Sony made Catalyst a subscription only bit of software, and some folks were told that 13 would the last Vegas. I use Sony Movie Studio Suite which is very powerful but has not had a real upgrade in 2 year, making me wonder if the Vegas/Studio combination are both end of life products (EOL). It's hard to image an organization as video focused as Sony not having a current consumer NLE. As I see it if Movie studio and Vegas are not continuing (I was just going to order Vegas Edit before I saw the post about Vegas being EOL) hen its time to move on. Also the Catalyst forums are very much like the Adobe forums when they switched to subscription for their products. And of course the QT issue has raised additional issues in the NLE world. All of my videos are short projects or stock 30 second clips.

So if Studio and Vegas is EOL, it seems my choices are ($300 or less):

1. Resolve (free version)
    2. Premier Elements
    3. PowerDirector Suite

Anything I've missed?

Anyone have used both Elements and PowerDirector (seems a lot more powerful and you get a sound editor and color grading system). If so what is your choice. Still like to hear from those who only used one of the two. Resolve needs a slightly better video card (I only have 1 gig of memory on mine) but I will evaluate - I would just not like to spend $1K on the software if I need something in the full version.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Premiere Elements is fine so long as you don't need to sync multiple camera angles and sync audio. It can be done, but takes a lot more work. If multi-angle/audio sync is a need, then you might be better off subscribing to Premiere CC.
  3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    thanks, I've use Plural eyes.

The free version doesn't do 4K (big deal for me), so its a bit past my budget for to purchase, to subscribe I might as well go with Adobe.
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium