Nissin i40 flahs issue (markings wearing off)!

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Extremely disappointed with the quality of Nissin i40 flash. Purchased from B&H a little over a month ago and after just a few uses, the markings on the dials started to wear off all of a sudden (not gradually). I have contacted both Minox (Nissin distributor in the US) and B&H Photo. We'll see what happens. A quick google search reveals that this issue is quite common with i40 units. However, I am not aware of any product recalls by Nissin. This is an expensive, advanced level flash so it's quite frustrating.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hemuni

Mu-43 Regular
Wow, and I was just about to order one yesterday. I have a Nissin 466, which is still holding up fine. I didn't use it extensively, but I have been very happy with the quality, which generally seems much better than the price. Maybe they are having issues with the initial production.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would hold off from ordering this flash until Nissin clarifies the situation. If the problems is with the initial batch then I am troubled by the fact that no recall has been issued by Nissin.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
replacement flash has same issue, markings are wearing off after only two uses. To my knowledge, no recall has been issues by Nissin. I am going to stay away from this brand from now on.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
I have three older Nissin flashes. They have been reliable, and I have recommended them, however, all of them are nearly "naked" now.
I feel like breathing on them the wrong way will cause the remaining lettering to come off.
Has Nissin ever recalled anything? I don't recall them ever doing a recall on any product - and they've had a couple of duds over the years.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone buying one of these new would do themselves a favor if the first thing they did was to stick some carefully trimmed sellotape of the control to protect the writing to stop it happening in the first place, not that tit should happen in the first place but it obviously is and Nissin are not going to fix the issue are they, they will probably just issue a new model once the production fault has been figured out, anyone for a Nissin i50

Paul

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
Just use some clear nail polish over the numbers. Don't bet on Nissin ever fixing the problem - it goes back to the very first flashes they produced. It's whatever they choose to use for their screen-printing.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
After reading this I have made a point of reversing the flash head sothat the printing is not against the side of the case when I put it away. I hope this helps. I'm not trying the sellotape solution as I think that when the sticky degrades it will also degrade the print. Not good enough though.:dash2:

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Just use some clear nail polish over the numbers. Don't bet on Nissin ever fixing the problem - it goes back to the very first flashes they produced. It's whatever they choose to use for their screen-printing.
You might find that the solvent in the nail varnish might damage the lettering as you apply it.

Varnishing it is a good idea though but something water based would be a better idea, one of the acrylic model varnishes from the likes of Humbrol, Revell, Vallejo etc would work well.

Paul

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
You might find that the solvent in the nail varnish might damage the lettering as you apply it.

Varnishing it is a good idea though but something water based would be a better idea, one of the acrylic model varnishes from the likes of Humbrol, Revell, Vallejo etc would work well.

Paul
Ahh... good point. The stuff I used didn't seem to affect the lettering on my flashes. I can't remember what it was called but it was essentially clear nail polish you used on kids to stop them from biting their nails. But yeah, any sort of acrylic model varnish will work just as well, and likely cure more invisibly.

sw08023jp

New to Mu-43
Used my wife's clear base coat nail varnish. Tested on a few small sections and it was ok. Just try it on other spots where it will not spoil the asthetics.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

spangler

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Andrew Heelis
Thanks for the heads up, might have to considering laquering mine as a precaution. I've had a similar problem with the "PASM" dial on my Lumix LX3.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom