Nissin i40 and macro

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cyrax83, Jun 13, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    hi, I have a Nissin i40 and Oly 60 mm macro. I use the soft box with the flash but sometimes it doesn't light up my macro subject well and results in very underexposed or harsh images on TTL

I often see YouTube videos of people using home made diffusers on their flash and being able to angle the light down

Anyone have any tips?
  2. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    If you are shooting outside just use the bounce card and angle the head up slightly. The light will spread out more evenly and be diffused by natural light surrounding you.
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Angle the head up, I never considered that. I'll give it a go.

I've used the bounce card to mixed results

Should I be using the included diffuser or soft box?
    Is the flash power level just experimentation? I assume TTL with 0 flash compensation might not be correct if angling the head up
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I find TTL fine for normal situations, but a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to macro. In any case you will want to use flash exposure compensation separately to your camera exposure if ambient light is going to play a part, in order to control the ratio of ambient to flash.

Are you using the flash on the hot shoe or off camera? It will look a lot better if the flash is off camera, as there will be more dimensionality to the light. The included stofen style diffuser is okay, but won't make a dramatic difference for macro if it's still on-axis.

Edit: Saw your shots with the 60mm - they're really good. If consistency is what you're after then manual mode might work out a bit better for a given subject and lighting condition.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I don't know what body you're using it on, but if possible, I would recommend using it off camera, I think most if not all recent models support remote triggering
  6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I was using the camera on the hot shoe but I can use it off camera in slave mode - I'll need to use the default small flash as a trigger to fire the Nissin off flash though. Is this the way to go?

I may have to do some experimentation
  7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Was an Olympus E-M1. I'll try off camera slave with the default flash as a master