Nissin i40 and macro

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cyrax83, Jun 13, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    hi, I have a Nissin i40 and Oly 60 mm macro. I use the soft box with the flash but sometimes it doesn't light up my macro subject well and results in very underexposed or harsh images on TTL

I often see YouTube videos of people using home made diffusers on their flash and being able to angle the light down

Anyone have any tips?

2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Angle the head up, I never considered that. I'll give it a go.

I've used the bounce card to mixed results

Should I be using the included diffuser or soft box?
    Is the flash power level just experimentation? I assume TTL with 0 flash compensation might not be correct if angling the head up

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I find TTL fine for normal situations, but a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to macro. In any case you will want to use flash exposure compensation separately to your camera exposure if ambient light is going to play a part, in order to control the ratio of ambient to flash.

Are you using the flash on the hot shoe or off camera? It will look a lot better if the flash is off camera, as there will be more dimensionality to the light. The included stofen style diffuser is okay, but won't make a dramatic difference for macro if it's still on-axis.

Edit: Saw your shots with the 60mm - they're really good. If consistency is what you're after then manual mode might work out a bit better for a given subject and lighting condition.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I don't know what body you're using it on, but if possible, I would recommend using it off camera, I think most if not all recent models support remote triggering

5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I was using the camera on the hot shoe but I can use it off camera in slave mode - I'll need to use the default small flash as a trigger to fire the Nissin off flash though. Is this the way to go?

I may have to do some experimentation

6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Was an Olympus E-M1. I'll try off camera slave with the default flash as a master

Thanks