Nissin i40 and EM-1 question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stillwatergal, Feb 29, 2016.

1. stillwatergal

stillwatergal Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    I am trying to figure out how to use the Nissin i40 as an off camera flash. I am attaching the accessory flash and setting RC Mode to ON. I am setting the camera flash to OFF and the i40 to group A. The Group A setting in camera is TTL. When I trigger the flash with the shutter both the accessory flash and the Nissin fire, even though the camera flash is set to OFF. I'm mystified. Thanks. Stephanie

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 4/3 RC TTL system is an optical one. The on camera master must trigger the slave by firing coded pre-flashes before the main pulse. You'll see it light up but it shouldn't really affect the exposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    If the pre-flash from the little accessory commander causes problems like closed eyes, you can tape some infrared filter over it and it will still work.

4. stillwatergal

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    So, how can I test it to determine if it is lighting up or actually flashing? Thanks. S

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Compare exposures with it set to on versus off and the main flash power dialled down?

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Shoot in to a mirror!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    The "OFF" option supposedly works, I don't have the Em1 but there's the same option on my G6, to disable or enable the on-camera flash with remote triggering, and from my experience with that, the exposure isn't affected by the on-camera flash when set to OFF, it only pre-flashes.

though I'm very curious about the optical "coding"

8. stillwatergal

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    Will try. Thanks!