Nissin Di466 on EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Feb 27, 2014.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Just yesterday I got the Di466 to use with my EM5. Man what a great little flash for $140. Anyway I find that when I am bouncing the flash, I have to turn up the flash compensation to +0.7 in the camera in order to get a good exposure. Is this consistent with the experiences of others?

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Yep perhaps even 1 stop

3. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Similar here, I just assumed it was to do with bouncing rather than direct. Otherwise, great cheap flash.
    I found it works great with a canon TTL cable if you want to swivel the flash - though you lose one hand holding the flash!

• Like Like x 1
  4. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Well I'll be -- it sure does. I still have a Canon TTL cable and a Stroboframe Quickflip from Canon DSLR days and it works like a charm. You just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me -- much thanks!

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Sorry for the noob qstn - but how does a canon ttl work on it? Isn't the di466 designed for m43 mount? Or is m43 mount the same as Canon mount (as far as flash is concerned)? Would the same cable work on, say, a Fuji?

Sent from my iPhone

6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Twalker294, this flash just tilts up and down (so can be bounced off ceiling, for example) but doesn't swivel left and right, correct?

So, you all are saying that this flash is for m4/3 cameras (I want to use it with the OM-D E-M10), but will also work with Canons and functions in TTL for these different camera brands? And one can also switch it to Manual flash mode and control it that way?

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Another question: will the Nissin Di466 fire remotely/wirelessly using the on board flash to trigger it? And, if so, does it maintain TTL functionality? This does happen, for example, when I fire my Canon flashes wirelessly using the built-in flash on my 60D.

8. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I dunno much about ttl but I can confirm you can trigger the nissin wirelessly using your built-in flash. I've done this both with an E-PL3 and X100s.

Sent from my iPhone

9. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    As far as the flash shoe goes, they are all the same size so physically any flash will fit on any camera's hotshoe. Canon's TTL configuration has 4 contacts arranged in a square right under the main pin, as you can see on the right here:

mponer-ttl-transmitter-receiver-pf-8014-0m-for-canon-cameraflashes-full-componer-canon-29972-361.

Now it just so happens that m43 TTL has three pins arranged in the same configuration (ignore the Kodak S1 image):

hotshoes2.

Now because of the missing fourth pin, a m43 TTL cable would NOT work on a Canon because that fourth pin wouldn't be connected.

As for Fuji, it looks like the Canon cord would probably work on the Fuji as it has three pins as well that appear to be in the right places:

Gampat-The-Phoblographer-CES-2013-Fujifilm-X20-first-impressions-2-of-5ISO-16001-80-sec-at-f-4.0.

Again, a m43 TTL cord would NOT work on the Fuji because their contacts are in different locations.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    So it looks like a Canon will work on all of them! :)

11. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes, that's correct.

No, it will not work on a Canon. As a matter of fact, using it on a Canon might possibly damage the camera, flash, or both. Yes the TTL contacts are in the same place which is why the Canon cord works, but that doesn't mean that the pins do the same job in each configuration. This shows what each pin does on the Canon hotshoe:

957481HotShoe2a_zps1b4c62ba.
    I wasn't able to find a diagram that shows this for m43, but if, for instance, the camera is sending power through a pin that the flash isn't configured to receive power through, it could burn up the flash. That's worst case. At the very least, it probably just wouldn't work since the pin configuration would be wrong. The flash would fire because the main pin is connected (the big one,) but you wouldn't get any kind of flash metering.

12. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Yep it does. Nikon is the odd man out in the TTL world since they have that lonely third pin sitting up there above the main pin:

NikonShoepin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Started to believe EU should require with help of China that every hotshoe should be compatible to any flash and vice versa. It is silly that you can't really freely choose flash but you are limited to specific body then. It would be like MicroUSB was to phones when China and EU required it to be the main charging port. (Damn apple what got around it with a adapter!)