1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nissin D1466

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by xdayv, Nov 14, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Anybody using this flash? I've been scouting for an external flash, and stumbled on this. I don't need heavy featured flash, will mainly use for travel when internal flash won't suffice and causes shadow on my 7-14. Feedback appreciated. :biggrin:

(correction on title of thread, must be Nissin Di466)

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I use this flash. No problems whatsoever. I wish its head tilted and swiveled and not just tilted, but for $120 there is nothing better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I just got this flash a week ago from eBay. Works great when on camera in TTL mode. I also use it as an off camera flash with the optical slave modes when doing studio work.

I do wish it swiveled though. Otherwise, a great little flash.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Got one, love it. Also use it with radio triggers.

HOWEVER, you note you plan to use it on the 7 - 14, this will only be fine if you're bouncing/selectively lighting/going off-camera etc. On camera, pointed at the subject, you'll not have the coverage for 7mm (no flash will).

I've not measured the coverage for mine, but I think they're only designed to go down to 14mm.

(not that I don't know anything that goes any wider of course, and you can always diffuse it etc)

• Like Like x 1
  5. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    One of the first accessories I got for my GF-1 was the Nissin Di466 and I use it quite regularly with both my 20mm and 45mm lenses.

It's not too expensive and really makes a huge difference over trying to nice even lighting with the in-built flash.

• Like Like x 1
  6. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    As most people above, I found it to be the best value flash for 4/3 system. Only drawback - it does not swiwel to bounce in portrait orientation. Everything else is great. Very compact considering it takes 4 AA batteries (thats also good).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I bought one on Saturday at a good price but haven't had a chance to try it. A nice package though and 4 AAs mean fast recycle times.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zahatron

zahatron New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2011
    I just picked it up for my Gf1, no complaints when mounting directly or wired.

Still trying to figure out a wireless setup.

9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

Same here.. When I first got it, I had it all figured out, but haven't used it in a while, and recently tried to use it, and had to keep pressing different modes to make it work :frown:

10. zahatron

zahatron New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2011
    @taz98spin what setup did you end up using?

11. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I think it changed it till the Blue light turned on "S2"

12. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I have this flash, and use it on my G1 and GH2. I haven't been able to trigger TTL mode in Panasonic cameras, and I was told somewhere on this forum that there is no TTL support for panasonic G cameras. Anyway, I checked the G1 menu and it isn't there.

So this flash for Panny cameras is fully useful only in Manual and S1 and S2 modes. I use it with all my strobes in a small studio set-up, so this flash is like a trigger for those strobes. I only wish this flash can fire a signal and no flash at all, so I can trigger the strobes wirelessly without introducing more light from the flash.

Eventually though, I got a used D90 and a speed light. I am heavily invested in M43 and have no plans to leave the system. But on this one matter of lighting, I think it lags behind Canikon in range, accessories, and cost (aka, 3rd party solutions).

13. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Strangely enough, it's working like a charm on my GF1. In P mode camera chooses somewhat slow shutter (like 1/30) but this definitely confirms that flash is in TTL mode :biggrin:

Are you sure you've got specific 4/3 model?

14. zahatron

zahatron New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2011
    awesome, changed mine to M mode. Now I have a sweet wireless flash setup, thanks!