Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2 - Released

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
There are some having issues with SEP2 for various reasons from what I have read. One of the underling problems I read in the Nik Forums is...

Silver Efex Pro 2 is the first plug-in to incorporate new technology for utilizing the GPU (graphics processing unit) chip that we developed working with Intel and Nvidia. While most systems will benefit from this, some may not. One thing you might try is going to the Silver Efex Pro 2 Settings dialog and disabling GPU processing to see if that helps at all.

I am not having any issues on a two year old 13 inch macbook and a last year model iMac. I had plenty of issues previously with both Aperture 3 and many of the Nik programs on an older version of an iMac that I had had for about 3 years (one of the original models). While I am not a subject matter expert by any means, one of the consistent causes of issues is of course memory, but maybe even more so trying to run the new software versions with an older graphics card that just isn't up to the task.

This link will take you to the NikForums SEP2 threads...

Silver Efex Pro

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'm using it on a 21 inch iMac with 8 gigs of RAM. Its a lot faster than exposing and developing paper, but its controls seem to be somewhat stuck in the molases compared to the previous version. It almost always works but it did hang the computer a couple of times, and its just slower to make adjustments than version 1. Which can result in overshooting an adjustment and having to redo it because I'm not really seeing the change in real time so much as making it and then waiting for it to show up for a second. There are some photos I've been able to get notably better results out of version 2, but for the most part I may use version 1 as the default and just pull out version 2 when I'm having problems with a particular shot...

Or maybe it'll spontaneously speed up! Because that kind of thing is ALWAYS happening!

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I tried the GPU thing and its definitely faster with it checked than with it turned off. From the sound of things on the Nik forum, people on the PC side are having a lot more serious problems than this. Mine works, but its a lot less fun to use than the previous version give the slowness.

-Ray

dsteady

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All -- Thanks to Silver EfEx v.2 coming out, I just picked up v. 1, with a free upgrade, for $100.

My questions: do most of you do all your B&W processing in Silver Efex? Or do you convert your grayscale in PS, LR, Aperture and then make final adjustments in Silver Efex?

It seems that Lightroom has better overall tone/exposure adujustments and then Silver Efex gives you final depth and control.

Here's my first SEP image:

(Tri-X with a few different control points)

5488020116_3fcd509941_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dn'l

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hey All -- Thanks to Silver EfEx v.2 coming out, I just picked up v. 1, with a free upgrade, for $100.

My questions: do most of you do all your B&W processing in Silver Efex? Or do you convert your grayscale in PS, LR, Aperture and then make final adjustments in Silver Efex?

It seems that Lightroom has better overall tone/exposure adujustments and then Silver Efex gives you final depth and control.

Here's my first SEP image:

(Tri-X with a few different control points)

5488020116_3fcd509941_b.jpg

dn'l
Hi Dan,

I do it all in Silver Efex. The RAW image comes into Aperture and is automatically processed. Occasionally I'll apply a bit of sharpening there, but then go straight to Silver Efex for the conversion. I like having the color information all there to work with using the color sensitivity sliders and stuff. But there are no rules...

Nice image, btw!

-Ray

dsteady

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Dan,

I do it all in Silver Efex. The RAW image comes into Aperture and is automatically processed. Occasionally I'll apply a bit of sharpening there, but then go straight to Silver Efex for the conversion. I like having the color information all there to work with using the color sensitivity sliders and stuff. But there are no rules...

Nice image, btw!

-Ray

Thanks Ray! The conversion above is a bit rough, but I'm getting the hang of it.

haven't tried the color sliders yet in SEP, but I love the control points.

I like your last three on the street thread.

(Almost bike riding weather here in Chicago)

dn'l

dn'l

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for the recent irony and advice ladies and gentlemen. As soon as I can afford a new laptop, I'll buy one. My current model runs on Windows Vista but could handle the earlier version of SEP without any difficulty whatsoever.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
Gpu vs no gpu

Definitely faster on my Mac with the GPU checked.

Used this as a test image, Garfield digs some sun.

5489296460_4543b4d2c4_b.jpg

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I am at BB's home doing some work.
Her Mac Book Pro is very fast with the sliders. No hang ups at all.
My 1 YO iMac is sluggish. Both machines have 8 gb Ram.

The borders? It seems that when you apply any border it crops the edges of the image to maintain image size. It should actually add the border without cropping.
So, there are things to address. I hope Nik does.

Otherwise, it's a great upgrade.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I wonder if this has anything to do with the graphics processor? I'm not very savvy on all this hardware/software stuff...

My MacBook Pro is about a year old. I am using Silver Efex 2 via Lightroom 3

Here's the info on my MacBook Pro's graphics

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

Here is the info about the actual computer:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Serial Number (system): W80254BGAGZ
Hardware UUID: 89E71DDC-B34F-5D4C-93B0-DE5E646E4F71
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
The borders? It seems that when you apply any border it crops the edges of the image to maintain image size. It should actually add the border without cropping.
So, there are things to address. I hope Nik does.

Otherwise, it's a great upgrade.

Don, there seems to be a little quirkiness in the borders portion. As it is a brand new feature to Nik, hopefully it is just a matter of tweaking. I use Aperture 3 as you know, and it is a roundtrip out to SEP2 and then back to Aperture. I had a photo that I had cropped first, went into SEP2, and applied one of the pre-sets that also had a border as part of the pre-set. When I went back to A3, the image was as I had cropped it, but the top border was missing. If I resized and "uncropped" the image, the top border re-appeared.

As the borders get imbedded (if that is the right term) into the image in SEP2, you need to do your cropping first as if you try to crop after coming back into A3 with borders on your image, the borders do not adjust to any new crops. I know it might be different in LR & Photoshop as you use the Nik products within those programs and are not on a round-trip basis as you are in Aperture.

I am going to post a question in their forums or call Nik at some point about this when I get a chance.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
John... CROP! Yikes..... I'm shakin' at the thought....
Full frame and the border cuts into the image.
It should work like the canvas in PS.
Don

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I am at BB's home doing some work.
Her Mac Book Pro is very fast with the sliders. No hang ups at all.
My 1 YO iMac is sluggish. Both machines have 8 gb Ram.
Interesting. I've seen other reports (on the Nik forum) of MacBooks running it very well. Yours is the only other person I think I've seen with an iMac that sounds like about the same age as mine that's sluggish. Surprising because when I was shopping for computers, the iMac I got had a more powerful processer than any of the laptops until you got waaaaaay up the price ladder, so I wouldn't expect this. But there must be some quirk in how they handle graphics???

I hope they figure it out and fix it at the software end. I shouldn't have to be upgrading hardware quite this soon... Not that I'd know what to upgrade it with...

-Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I agree Ray. I have the feeling Nik will not address the issues. We, BB & I posted on the forum and it seems that Nik isn't seeing a problem on their end.
So, we may be where it's as good as it gets.

This wouldn't bother me as much as it does if I didn't see BB's machine flying thru the program.
Don

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nothing too interesting, mostly playing with some sample shots I had

GF1_20110104_0002-Edit.jpg

I kind of upgraded on a whim. I somewhat forgot LR3's B&W has been improved. However, I guess I'm just used to the Silver Efex controls, heh.

But for me, it's pretty speedy, except for loading and saving. Actual use for my limited time so far seems better than silver efex 1 actually. I'm running a C2D Q6600 2.4ghz w/ 8GB of ram. I think the kicker is I have a pretty beefy 8800GT for this kinda stuff. It's lackluster in the gaming dept, but it sure helps GPU accelerated apps =)

dsteady

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All - My Nik Silver Efex is doing this weird thing where when the plug-in loads I get the editing screen and tools/sliders without any words or anything else to describe what the sliders do.

I've been managing to process "by braille" but I'd like to figure out how to restore the wording.

Any help? Ideas?

thx,

dn'l

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hey All - My Nik Silver Efex is doing this weird thing where when the plug-in loads I get the editing screen and tools/sliders without any words or anything else to describe what the sliders do.

I've been managing to process "by braille" but I'd like to figure out how to restore the wording.

Any help? Ideas?

thx,

dn'l

That sounds pretty bad Daniel. I'd uninstall the program and then reinstall it. If that doesn't do it, call Nik. There seem to be a handfull of real niggling little problems with this software, but all stuff you can work with pretty easily. That one, though, sounds pretty fatal.

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom