Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2 - Released

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have already asked this somewhere else, but since I am really interested in this program, I want to post my question here, too:

pictor said:
This program is rather popular and I do not doubt its quality. But after watching some videos on their homepage, I do not see much, what I cannot do in Lightroom, too. Even the film simulations can be done in Lightroom easily, since there are a lot of free Lightroom presets which do just that. I think, that I have collected a lot of free film presets for Lightroom, maybe even more than Silver Efex offers. I am really interested in that program, since so many people seem to be really fond of SilverEfex, but I would not see any reason for buying this product, if it does not offer much more than Lightroom does. Maybe someone can help me.
Is the biggest advantage of SilverEfex the better usability?

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
I have already asked this somewhere else, but since I am really interested in this program, I want to post my question here, too:

Is the biggest advantage of SilverEfex the better usability?
+1 :bravo-009:

If it were £10 I would get it, but not £160, you can buy a lot of accessories for that.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
My first V2 Image

My first version 2 image, its really challenging to do the selective color , I tried here on the eyes, it was easy to go to far, harder to be subtle , a work in progress. Seems a tad slower.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
Lovely selective colouring above, although a layer mask could easily have achieved the same result. From my brief trial today, I can't see that this new version is a significant improvement. In common with 'HDR Efex Pro', I find the interface overly cluttered on the right hand side and much prefer the simplicity of the original. For me, the main advantage of SEP, like other Nik Software programs, is mainly in terms of quickly being able to target specific zones of the image, for careful manipulation of light and contrast. The toning and some of the antique style presets are also very good indeed and would be difficult to replicate in Photoshop or Lightroom.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
although a layer mask could easily have achieved the same result.
Thanks!, Yes it would be much easier to mask yourself , but ill keep pluggin away to see if there is much benefit to using it while in SFX.

But I am still amazed at how many folks wont mess with layers or masks in PS or even gimp, so I guess it could be easier for them.

I think the new feature ill try to use most is Dynamic Brightness

BK

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
I completely agree Brian, but in all honesty it's taken me months to get the hang of layers, even though I have loads of time on my hands. Photoshop can be a very intimidating program to begin with, but fortunately there are now some brilliant videos all over the internet, including 'Adobe TV' itself. Good luck with your future efforts.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks!, Yes it would be much easier to mask yourself , but ill keep pluggin away to see if there is much benefit to using it while in SFX.
It seems to be very good at selecting hair.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
V2 Image Borders

Yet another snowy Sat AM in Michigan. Playing with the new Image Borders, nice and all but I wish they had added more films instead.

G2 Canon FL 35MM

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Seems a tad slower.
Anyone else noticing this? I'm finding its more than a tad slower - the sliders act like they're in slow-mo and I've had the program hang my whole computer a couple of times. I have a slightly more than one year old iMac with 8 gigs of RAM, so if anything should be able to run it, this should.

-Ray

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
downloaded the trial....took me 10 minutes to go from this

to this

definitely has possibilities...oh and this was on a 11 inch macbook Air... and yes it was a little laggy performancewise

K

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
downloaded the trial....took me 10 minutes to go from this

to this

definitely has possibilities

K
Once you get familiar with it, it'll take about 2-3 minutes. At least that's what I found with the old version. If the new one can keep up. And its got a lot more detailed controls that could add to the time spent...

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
No problems with any hang ups on my MacBook Pro, Ray.

Haven't noticed a slowness...but I am somewhat slow at my changes.. I used the upgraded version yesterday evening for this. I'm still getting used to the new set up.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/5477690928/" title="2-11-dng-37.jpg by Otra2004 AKA BBW, on Flickr">
"1024" height="683" alt="2-11-dng-37.jpg" /></a>

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Once you get familiar with it, it'll take about 2-3 minutes. At least that's what I found with the old version. If the new one can keep up. And its got a lot more detailed controls that could add to the time spent...

-Ray
absolutely sure thats true... my ten minutes was from launching the plug in for the first time to final result...there was a lot of experimentation in there... just pushing the sliders to see what happens

would definitely recommend anyone to download the trial

K

K

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
It's extremely slow, presumably because of all those additional presets that get loaded up at the beginning, whether you want them or not. There are a few of the new ones I quite like, but the strain on my laptop's memory and my own patience is too much to bare.

tomrock

Mu-43 Regular
On what kind of laptop is it slow? Windows or OS X?

I'm using it on a MacBook Air and it's fine. A lot faster than exposing and developing paper.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom