Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2 - Released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by john1027, Feb 25, 2011.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, right now they seem to be having a website problem. Perhaps they're overwhelmed with requests? I'm sure it will be up again soon.

Thanks John!!

3. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I have already asked this somewhere else, but since I am really interested in this program, I want to post my question here, too:

Is the biggest advantage of SilverEfex the better usability?

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    +1 :bravo-009:

If it were £10 I would get it, but not £160, you can buy a lot of accessories for that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

I love Silver Efex. It took me 9 months to buy it, but once I did I was extremely glad I did. Now with this upgrade, things are looking even better. I'm very excited about the new and more refined tools and adjustments! Here's a good link that shows some of what it's about: Silver Efex Pro 2 Help

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    B&W = Silver Effex.
    - Silver Effex = Mud!

That simple. No other program offers the Control.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Really nice presets in Silver Efex 2

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    My first V2 Image

My first version 2 image, its really challenging to do the selective color , I tried here on the eyes, it was easy to go to far, harder to be subtle , a work in progress. Seems a tad slower.

5476906782_9d41d5359b_b.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Lovely selective colouring above, although a layer mask could easily have achieved the same result. From my brief trial today, I can't see that this new version is a significant improvement. In common with 'HDR Efex Pro', I find the interface overly cluttered on the right hand side and much prefer the simplicity of the original. For me, the main advantage of SEP, like other Nik Software programs, is mainly in terms of quickly being able to target specific zones of the image, for careful manipulation of light and contrast. The toning and some of the antique style presets are also very good indeed and would be difficult to replicate in Photoshop or Lightroom.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Thanks!, Yes it would be much easier to mask yourself , but ill keep pluggin away to see if there is much benefit to using it while in SFX.

But I am still amazed at how many folks wont mess with layers or masks in PS or even gimp, so I guess it could be easier for them.

I think the new feature ill try to use most is Dynamic Brightness

BK

11. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I completely agree Brian, but in all honesty it's taken me months to get the hang of layers, even though I have loads of time on my hands. Photoshop can be a very intimidating program to begin with, but fortunately there are now some brilliant videos all over the internet, including 'Adobe TV' itself. Good luck with your future efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    It seems to be very good at selecting hair.

5476738857_bb9dc022a4_b.

13. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    V2 Image Borders

Yet another snowy Sat AM in Michigan. Playing with the new Image Borders, nice and all but I wish they had added more films instead.
    5479950090_fbe218ca39_b.

G2 Canon FL 35MM

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Anyone else noticing this? I'm finding its more than a tad slower - the sliders act like they're in slow-mo and I've had the program hang my whole computer a couple of times. I have a slightly more than one year old iMac with 8 gigs of RAM, so if anything should be able to run it, this should.

-Ray

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    downloaded the trial....took me 10 minutes to go from this
    S1202883_1_.

to this

S1202883.

definitely has possibilities...oh and this was on a 11 inch macbook Air... and yes it was a little laggy performancewise

K

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Once you get familiar with it, it'll take about 2-3 minutes. At least that's what I found with the old version. If the new one can keep up. And its got a lot more detailed controls that could add to the time spent...

-Ray

17. BBW

No problems with any hang ups on my MacBook Pro, Ray.

Haven't noticed a slowness...but I am somewhat slow at my changes.. I used the upgraded version yesterday evening for this. I'm still getting used to the new set up.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/5477690928/" title="2-11-dng-37.jpg by Otra2004 AKA BBW, on Flickr"> 5477690928_3079964669_b. "1024" height="683" alt="2-11-dng-37.jpg" /></a>

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    absolutely sure thats true... my ten minutes was from launching the plug in for the first time to final result...there was a lot of experimentation in there... just pushing the sliders to see what happens

would definitely recommend anyone to download the trial

K

K

19. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    It's extremely slow, presumably because of all those additional presets that get loaded up at the beginning, whether you want them or not. There are a few of the new ones I quite like, but the strain on my laptop's memory and my own patience is too much to bare.

20. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    On what kind of laptop is it slow? Windows or OS X?

I'm using it on a MacBook Air and it's fine. A lot faster than exposing and developing paper.