Nikon Z50 mirrorless APS-C camera and two lenses (16-55mm and 50-250mm) to be announced soon

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
If that helps to keep the price down for the consumer market, that is good.
But at which level D3xxx or D5xxx ?​
My D7200 has what feels like a plastic top piece.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The design remindes me of the old Nikon 1 v2

Will be interessting to see how Nikon have spec this camera

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The lens appears to be like the Panasonic 12-32.
An interesting decision, with the obvious goal to making the kit as small as possible.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
I still have a foot in both m43 and Nikon, but I don't see this as very compelling for me to ditch one system for the other. I know where I'd go for small and collapsible.

I guess time will tell what the z60 or z70 and future lenses will be able to do.

A few images

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It looks like a mini Z6. The grip looks comfortable, but I wonder about the height of the camera and how that'll affect the ergos.

It certainly is compact, but the big question mark IMO is future lens support for the APS-C Z-mount cameras (the same concern for Nikon's APS-C DSLRs). I suppose the upside is that the Z prime lenses aren't terribly large (about the same size as the Olympus f/1.2 PRO lenses), and are very good optically.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
It looks like a mini Z6. The grip looks comfortable, but I wonder about the height of the camera and how that'll affect the ergos.

It certainly is compact, but the big question mark IMO is future lens support for the APS-C Z-mount cameras (the same concern for Nikon's APS-C DSLRs). I suppose the upside is that the Z prime lenses aren't terribly large (about the same size as the Olympus f/1.2 PRO lenses), and are very good optically.
The issue I have with the current S primes is that they are all "pro quality" and rather pricy. There needs to be "premium" primes with modest pricing at 85-90% performance of the S primes to allow people of more modest means to play, as well.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The issue I have with the current Z primes is that they are all "pro quality" and rather pricy. There needs to be "premium" primes with modest pricing at 85-90% performance of the Z primes to allow people of more modest means to play, as well.
Agreed. The “S” line of primes for the Zmount are premium in performance (and price, just like PanaLeica or PRO lenses for m43). There’s rumor of Nikon having non-S lenses, but none have been released yet (other than these two APS-C kit zooms).

Having said that, everyone knows that FF is a more expensive system to buy in to compared to crop-sensor systems.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Agreed. The “S” line of primes for the Zmount are premium in performance (and price, just like PanaLeica or PRO lenses for m43). There’s rumor of Nikon having non-S lenses, but none have been released yet (other than these two APS-C kit zooms).

Having said that, everyone knows that FF is a more expensive system to buy in to compared to crop-sensor systems.
Sure, it's more expensive, but basic primes, even first party, like Nikon's 50/1.4g and 85/1.8g lenses were still under $500 new, iirc, and 3rd parties like Tamron released excellent better priced alternatives in the last 5-8 years or so.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Sure, it's more expensive, but basic primes, even first party, like Nikon's 50/1.4g and 85/1.8g lenses were still under $500 new, iirc, and 3rd parties like Tamron released excellent better priced alternatives in the last 5-8 years or so.
You can’t compare the 50/1.4 G or 1.8 G to the new 50/1.8 S. The S is vastly superior.

Regarding the 85mm, the 1.8 G released at $500 in 2012 ($550 in today’s money). But with the S, you’re getting better build quality (weather sealing), a superior optical formula that results in no CA wide open (a weak spot of the 1.8 G), better flare resistance (another weak spot of the 1.8 G), significantly faster and quieter AF motors, and 9 aperture blades for smoother backgrounds (the 1.8 G has 7).

Sure, the 1.8 S is $250 dearer than the 1.8 G when accounting for inflation, but you’re getting a superior lens as well.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
You can’t compare the 50/1.4 G or 1.8 G to the new 50/1.8 S. The S is vastly superior.

Regarding the 85mm, the 1.8 G released at $500 in 2012 ($550 in today’s money). But with the S, you’re getting better build quality (weather sealing), a superior optical formula that results in no CA wide open (a weak spot of the 1.8 G), better flare resistance (another weak spot of the 1.8 G), significantly faster and quieter AF motors, and 9 aperture blades for smoother backgrounds (the 1.8 G has 7).

Sure, the 1.8 S is $250 dearer than the 1.8 G when accounting for inflation, but you’re getting a superior lens as well.
Agreed, but that's my point. It would be nice for there to be primes for less performance/price than the S lenses. It's just a bit much for most folks these days. Dang, when my 85/1.8g was stolen, I didn't even replace it with the same thing, and went with an D lens instead.

After my initial disappointment about the lack of IBIS ime starting to like the look of this, i have IBIS on my EM1MK11 but never use it i just use the IS in the 100-400, i just had wanted to be able to use the Nikon 300mm f4.

Just wait now to see what genuine users think about it not the utube idiots

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Agreed, but that's my point. It would be nice for there to be primes for less performance/price than the S lenses. It's just a bit much for most folks these days. Dang, when my 85/1.8g was stolen, I didn't even replace it with the same thing, and went with an D lens instead.
There will be some, but this is the era of zooms.
The will not be the number of primes like there were back in the film days when I grew up.
Especially in the consumer grade lenses.
Example, while Nikon has a DX 35/1.8, Canon does not. If you own a Canon crop EF-S camera, your only option is the Yongnuo 35/2.​
On the flip side, Canon has come out with a line of compact EF primes at quite reasonable prices. I don't know who the target market is, but it is nice to see the lenses.​

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom