Nikon Z50 mirrorless APS-C camera and two lenses (16-55mm and 50-250mm) to be announced soon

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Weird...are they getting ready to jettison their entry level DSLRs and replace them with this camera?
Probably. Mirrorless bodies have less parts and are less costly to assemble than DSLR's, so it may be a matter of preserving any margin on the bottom end as they try to remain competitive.

--Ken

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
To get into the weeds on all the different nikon lens types is really too complicated unless you're looking at one on ebay :/

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
To get into the weeds on all the different nikon lens types is really too complicated unless you're looking at one on ebay :/
On the contrary.
If you have an early D3xxx, D5xxx, D7xxx, and likely the early FX cameras also, the current AF-P lens likely will NOT work on your camera.
Even my 1-generation old D7200 has limitations with the current AF-P lenses.

Nikon camera/lens combos is a compatibility minefield.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
On the contrary.
If you have an early D3xxx, D5xxx, D7xxx, and likely the early FX cameras also, the current AF-P lens likely will NOT work on your camera.
Even my 1-generation old D7200 has limitations with the current AF-P lenses.

Nikon camera/lens combos is a compatibility minefield.
I don't think we are in disagreement.

Real Name
Amol
IBIS would have been a major win since apsc bodies rarely have it.
A little disappointing. Somehow I expected a lot, considering founding Z models didn't exactly set the market on fire.
On the positive side rendering on this page shows EVF so that's a good news and 11 fps! Besides if it retains the same grip as other Z, it would be easily the most comfortable and ergonomic APS-C MLC out there.

Looks like next week for the launch but no IBIS, guess the new lenses will have it but come on Nikon get up to date.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/10/01/the-nikon-z50-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-will-not-have-ibis-and-could-be-announced-as-early-as-next-week.aspx/

IBIS would have been a major win since apsc bodies rarely have it.
A little disappointing. Somehow I expected a lot, considering founding Z models didn't exactly set the market on fire.
On the positive side rendering on this page shows EVF so that's a good news and 11 fps! Besides if it retains the same grip as other Z, it would be easily the most comfortable and ergonomic APS-C MLC out there.
I have my doubts they will get the focusing good enough to use the 11fps

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
This is a big head-scratcher for me. Who is asking for this camera? Sales of Nikon's D3000/5000/7000 series of DSLRs is down. Like, WAY down. The people who used to buy those cameras have either switched to using their cell phones because the current technology is "good enough", or have upgraded to a more "serious" FF camera.

Outside of specialty APS-C cameras like the D500 (or Fuji's line up), who is buying entry-level APS-C cameras anymore? And don't even get me started with those lenses, what a complete snooze-fest.

If Nikon really wanted to help attract people in to the Z-ecosystem, I think they should've gone the route of Canon and created their own EOS RP. A stripped-down, affordable FF camera with a great sensor. Who's getting excited over a camera that comes with two f/4.5-6.3 lenses? Not me, I know that...

I have my doubts they will get the focusing good enough to use the 11fps
Why do you say that? The Z6 will do 12/9 FPS (12bit/14bit) with full AF, and I've found the AF in the Z6 to be very, very good. I'd be surprised if the Z50 used an AF system different from that used in the Z6.

Real Name
Amol
If Nikon really wanted to help attract people in to the Z-ecosystem, I think they should've gone the route of Canon and created their own EOS RP. A stripped-down, affordable FF camera with a great sensor. Who's getting excited over a camera that comes with two f/4.5-6.3 lenses? Not me, I know that...
A cheaper FF targetted at photography rather than video would have been killer though RP hasn't been a success that Canon thought to be. I am guessing lack of cheaper native RF lenses are to be blamed.
The lenses that Nikon is releasing might not excite people on photography forums but they should be good enough for people buying bundles in BestBuy and Costco on Thanksgiving.

Why do you say that? The Z6 will do 12/9 FPS (12bit/14bit) with full AF, and I've found the AF in the Z6 to be very, very good. I'd be surprised if the Z50 used an AF system different from that used in the Z6.
Talking to a couple of owners using the Z6 with the 200-500 for bird in flight shots, although they love the camera they don't rate its C-AF.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Talking to a couple of owners using the Z6 with the 200-500 for bird in flight shots, although they love the camera they don't rate its C-AF.
^ That is my opinion too. Especially when you are spoiled by D500 or such. The 200-500 is a dog too. I believe 300pf/500pf will respond much better to Z6/7's AF.
I mean, I won't lie and tell you that the Z6 is a D500/D5 in its ability to shoot action photography, because it's not. However, most of the negativity around the Z6's AF abilities tends to come from those who haven't shot with it. I shot some collegiate T&F earlier this year, and was REALLY impressed in the camera's abilities (and this is coming from someone who owns two D500's).

While this isn't BIF, it is a pretty good test of the camera's AF abilities. The athletes are running full-bore at me, and the Z6 never missed a beat in keeping AF on the subjects. The issue that those Z6 owners had was likely that they were shooting with a 200-500, not a lens renowned for it's AF speed. If they were to shoot with a lens that had a proper/fast AF motor in it (my shots were with the 300/2.8), I'd bet that they'd be singing a different tune.

I mean, I won't lie and tell you that the Z6 is a D500/D5 in its ability to shoot action photography, because it's not. However, most of the negativity around the Z6's AF abilities tends to come from those who haven't shot with it. I shot some collegiate T&F earlier this year, and was REALLY impressed in the camera's abilities (and this is coming from someone who owns two D500's).

While this isn't BIF, it is a pretty good test of the camera's AF abilities. The athletes are running full-bore at me, and the Z6 never missed a beat in keeping AF on the subjects. The issue that those Z6 owners had was likely that they were shooting with a 200-500, not a lens renowned for it's AF speed. If they were to shoot with a lens that had a proper/fast AF motor in it (my shots were with the 300/2.8), I'd bet that they'd be singing a different tune.
If you need to pair it with heavy or exotic 2.8 or PF lenses then i still don't think it's going to be much of an introduction to the Z system, as good as those athlete captures are my EM1MK11 and 100-400 could have done it.

The reason i have a down on the Z50 is, i have shot Nikon for over 40 years, had to lighten my load a few years back so bought into m4/3 but it still says Nikon inside me :biggrin:.

When talk of the first Z cameras started i thought great i may be able to go back, first launches disappointed me because they are FX and as most of my bird shots are cropped it would not work for me.
Then talk of a Z50 another smile on my face, i could come back and finally get the 300mm f4 which i have wanted for years but with no IS it was a no go, so what do Nikon do, no IBIS in the Z50.
looking at the situation it does follow Nikons normal strategy, give people nearly what they want at a decent price, this in Nikons mind makes people buy up the range, or in my case stick with what i have.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
If you need to pair it with heavy or exotic 2.8 or PF lenses then i still don't think it's going to be much of an introduction to the Z system, as good as those athlete captures are my EM1MK11 and 100-400 could have done it.
The 100-400 is a pro-level lens, with Panasonic's latest/greatest/fastest AF motor technology (240 Hz). That definitely is not the case with the 200-500, which has a consumer-grade AF motor in it.

The AF speed of the lens makes a difference, yet many people default to blaming the camera body when in reality, they need to be using a lens that's better suited to the subjects they're trying to shoot.

Then talk of a Z50 another smile on my face, i could come back and finally get the 300mm f4 which i have wanted for years but with no IS it was a no go, so what do Nikon do, no IBIS in the Z50.
The 300/4 PF has IS built in to the lens though, so you do get some level of stabilization.

But if you're looking for a fast lens in that 400mm of reach range, why not pick up the PanaLeica 200/2.8? It'll give you 400mm of reach in a very compact lens, and while it wouldn't give you Dual/Sync IS on your E-M1 II, you would get it on your G80.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom