1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon: we don't need mirrorless cameras

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Starred, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The era of the "Canon and Nikon Mirrorless Cold War"

"Our R&D team is secretly working on it. For now, we build up conventional stockpile. Who's going to pull the trigger first?"

2. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I beg to differ... they don't have everything for everyone...
    I had nikon stuff and I was searching a live-view camera with decent fast af and interchangeable lens for my eye condition... and they don't have any.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well for the last 3 months,
    The D3100 has been the number one seller in Japan :wink:

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    "They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist. . . ."
    General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, died: 1864. Killed in battle during US Civil War.
    Care to add some other famous last words ?

Cheers,

5. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Alexander the Great,
    who had conquered land from Macedonia to Pakistan, died at the age of 33, with his boots on, weeping:
    "There are no more other worlds to conquer!"

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think what they meant was "we decided we shouldn't release a tiny sensor MILC"

7. wirehead

wirehead Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    I think they saw how well it worked when Steve Jobs said "We're not working on a tablet" while working on a tablet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think it's a good idea if Nikon decided to ditch 2.7x crop which was rumored. When the cameras become too small, ergonomics are no longer great and such cameras are only good to be used as P&S. Panasonic G3 is already borderline small. Companies should rather focus on producing small lenses perharps with the help of offset microlenses placed on the sensor coupled with software correction of optical flaws.
    BTW, Nikon's new P&S P7100 is gigantic! Epic fail for a tiny sensor digicam.

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Crappy 'journalism', and a headline designed to drive traffic. The person interviewed did not say that they don't need one. He noted that he believes they 'currently' have something for everyone.

In the end, he added no real information to the discussion - which is what you would expect. It's unlikely that a person at his level, in one market, would be the one to reveal anything substantive.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Just goes to show Nikon really can polish a turd! :)

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Agreed. I see sensationalized stuff like this all the time. But this is classic market dynamics at work, where the industry leaders are slow to move to a new technology while those with smaller shares of the pie are more willing to take risks...