Nikon V2 - more serious than before!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by speedandstyle, Oct 24, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikon just announced the new V2 mirrorless camera. It is a major redesign from the old one with many of the advanced features people were wanting added in. It still has the same size sensor although it is now 14mp{up from 10mp}. The mode dial now has PSAM so no longer do you have to fiddle through the menu. They also added a pop up flash and a new speedlight too.

I am an old Nikon guy so I am stoked, mainly because I can use my AF-S lenses with AF! Of coarse it is a smaller sensor and that does have some downfalls but it also has a couple of pluses over m4/3. I think this body will give m4/3 a bit of competition. I still plan on sticking with m4/3 but I am surely going to get one of these too.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon 1 V2

• Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

Here are a couple of pics.
    product_01.
    product_02.
    product_03.

Compare it to the V1!
    product_01.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Seems interesting, but a very tough sell for me at $899.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Looks good, now if you can manual focus on the damn thing without going 7 levels into the menu I might be interested. Actually, no I probably wouldn't.

5. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gosh, does Nikon have any industrial designers? That thing is so ugly.

The V1 had no grip, so now they've gone and put the biggest grip ever on it!

Might be a good camera, just I don't care for the styling!

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I prefer the V1 design more. Saying that, the V2 has all the right specs, but I wish they put more thought into the styling.

• Like Like x 3
  7. elias

elias New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2012
    Is this ugly or is this ugly??? Love the specs but really..it doesnt even look like a real camera. It so reminds me of a LEGO camera!!!
    lego_fuji_02.

• Like Like x 2
  8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm sorry? Nikon continue to baffle with their mirrorless releases... I actually quite liked the form of the first two (although the control interface needed work). This, though... In my mind it moves away from the only thing that was going to give it market-traction against Micro Four Thirds and NEX - size. It's still small, but the grip and the (worst ever) EVF bump make it an incredibly bulky tiny. The Nikon name doesn't have the panache in mirrorless that it had for SLR's, and I don't see this changing that...

Gotta say, this Nikon announcement today interested me far more... Nikon launches 70-200mm F4 VR tele-zoom with claimed 5-stop stabilization: Digital Photography Review

9. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    @Elias: rofl bulls eye!

The grip is a natural correction to these ever shrinking bodies... and I'm glad that the manufacturers are addressing it right on the body, than by selling a grip kit (for $300??)... because many of these cameras are just too uncomfortable to use without grips (heavier bodies and bigger lenses than P&S).

10. speedandstyle

I really like the design! The grip looks to be just the right size for actually gripping. Nikon_1_V2_1020802-580-90.

I have held the J1/V1 and the flat design is OK if you are using the rear LCD and impossible using the EVF. I will admit that the EVF hump is a bit bigger than the V1 but they did add a pop-up flash into it and the hotshoe.

Besides it isn't how it looks that counts but how easy it is to use. I have seen and handled several cameras that look really cool but they were horrible to actually handle. The grip looks a lot like the Sony NEX models or Samsung perhaps and the EVF is very similar to any of the PENs with the VF2 or 3 mounted. I really don't understand why it is so ugly in comparison.

I do have to agree that the price is a bit high! This has been the #1 complaint of the Nikon 1 system is the camera price{most of the lenses on the other hand are affordable - except the 10-100 power zoom}. BTW they also announced 3 more lenses for the system today as well as the new V2.

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Seconding (thirding?) the fugly call - I originally thought they'd ripped off the NEX line with the bulbous grip and slim body and thought the EVF was optional. But no - it appears it was actually designed that way.

Of course, putting my 'rational' hat on - if it takes great pictures then the looks don't matter and its designer just had a slightly masochistic bent.

12. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm reserving judgment on the design. Looks like form follows function and doesn't bother me so far.

13. speedandstyle

14. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    899 is not a cheap camera, but at the same time it DOES have an EFV. How many other cameras come with an EFV for the same price?

15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Looks like a NEX with a EVF stuck on top.

16. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    Look to me like they are reponding to critics. I am surprised they didn't bring this out at Photokina. As far as styling, if you are going to add a grip you might as well go full blast and add a big comfortable one.
    It would be fun to try one since I have many nikkors. But, I would wait another generation and pick one of these up used or on closeout.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I actually liked the form factor of the V1, which is clean and modern. The only things that could've been made better, IMO, were a Franeic-type grip, a tilt/articulate display, and perhaps a mode dial (and lower price, of course). I don't know why Nikon decided to deviate so much from the design of the V1, and even from that of the J2! I think the V2 is ugly, and definitely a major put off, even if it has significantly improved performance. I understand that the designer probably had form-follow-function in mind, but I just think this is poorly executed...

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree: They should've made it like the NEX-6, though, which looks much cleaner IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    As ugly as it is, it looks like a thing of beauty next to the Pentax K-01

I think the EFV looks a little bit goofy, but come on, it is not all THAT bad.

They seem to have done a good job of addressing concerns, I like a big grip. The controls look well through out. And they even finagled a pop up flash into the design.

I would rather have an ugly ergonomic camera with good control, than a pretty sleek little thing that frustrates me due to poor ergonomics.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wish they wouldn't jitter around madly from one design to another. Yes, the V1 had serious ergonomic issues (it was missing important controls). But to simply build something that looks and works entirely different isn't very helpful.

The real question is the lenses. Nikon has been bad at making appropriate lenses for DX, and so far mirrorless has been little different.