1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon V1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TeeZeeMee, Apr 3, 2012.

1. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    been thinking bout getting this cool little Tetris block as a secondary/for fun shooter to use with my newly acquired E-P3. Has anyone used a V1 and have opinions on it? I know it has it's limitations but I've heard some great things about it.
    I like to shoot mainly street and random landscape abstracts (like close ups of certain things, not just panoramas of mountains).

let me hear your thoughts m43? theyre appreciated :2thumbs:

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    There are a couple users floating around here and a few more at seriouscompacts. Nice things have been said and the images look good. The purchase wouldn't prevent you from buying a couple m4/3 lenses, right? =D If so, I would vote for spening the money on more lenses for your E-P3 first.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Lots of money to spend for a "for fun" shooter... The sensor is very good for the size, basically almost equivalent to :43: sensors but with less resolution. Usability seems a bit oddball, and the focus performance is apparently absolutely top of the line for mirrorless. Definitely read Thom's comments on the camera if you haven't already.

4. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    Ill already have 3 lenses for the E-p3. I don't think I'd want any others than the 12mm but its not a necessity

5. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    What comments are you referring to.?

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Here's a thread I started at SeriousCompacts.com reviewing and discussing the V1 with some samples.

Nikon V1 review (done for now)

In a nutshell, AF and metering are top notch. IQ on par with m4/3. User interface is bad for me.

In good light, the V1 can be the ultimate street photography camera. Fast and accurate AF, large DOF, good metering, silent operation. With the crop factor, you can even use the 30-110 as a close up taking some full head and shoulder photos, and the subject will likely never know you took the photo.

For high ISO, use RAW. The JPG engine applies too much NR.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  8. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    thanks all! ur very helpful!...
    more are welcome!

9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I tried out a J1 at a local target. It might be my imagination, but AF and shutter lag seemed quicker than my D7000. I may pick one up someday to use with my 70-300.

Lack of DOF control, hot shoe, ibis, and fast primes will probably keep me in the Olympus camp.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    810mm telephoto!!!

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I have the J1 & IMHO the "1 system" shines in 2 areas.

-Autofocus, Continuous Autofocus, & Autofocus w/Tracking
    -2.7 Cropfactor with Nikon F-Mount glass
    (Your 85mm ƒ.1.4 now becomes a 229mm ƒ1.4) :eek:

Otherwise, Micro Four Thirds outshines the 1 System. :smile:

I can post shots if you desire...

12. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    yes please!

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Since it's the same size as your E-P3, what do you hope to gain by using concurrent mirrorless systems that are the same size? If you'll look back at my posting history, you'll see that I'm a serious proponent of the Nikon 1 system, but I don't think that there's any reason for you to pick one up if you already have an E-P3. Collecting different cameras like they were Pokemon cards isn't going to get you much for your money, unless you just like wasting it. If you want one that does something another system doesn't, like getting yourself a point and shoot for true portability, or a beginner/midgrade DSLR for the improved sensor and focus performance, it's one thing. But getting what could be considered nigh-competitor camera systems that both do pretty much the same thing is just burning cash.

An E-P3 can be used both as a serious shooter and a for-fun shooter. So can a Nikon V1. Maximize your investment; don't lock what you have now into a specific role. Street and landscape abstracts could be shot just as easily with an E-P3 as a V1.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Other than the faster continuous shooting speed and superior AF tracking abilities of the V1 (vs. m4/3), the V1 excels as a very compact telephoto camera. The 30-110 is small. If I remember correctly, it's about the same size as the PL25/1.4. Plus, the OIS on the 30-110 lens is superior to the IBIS on the Pens, IMO. The V1 + 30-110 is a smaller and better performer (for telephoto purposes) than a EPM1 + 40-150.

15. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    gotcha, i understand that... haha guess ill just save up over time for a M9

16. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I disagree, there is nothing wrong with collecting different cameras. People have more than one suit, more than one pair of shoes, some people even have more than one car.

Everything doesn't have to be a cost benefit analysis.

• Like Like x 2
  17. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    A suit and shoes are something different. That's fashion, and it's a whole different ballgame from a tool like a camera. If you showed up to work, or a successive date, etc. wearing the exact same clothes all the time, you'd get looked at funny. Also, if you show up in a wedding wearing shorts and a tshirt, you're committing a faux pas. Cars are a bit different from cameras as well, but you can bet that when people do buy more than one car, they buy cars for different purposes and in different market positions. You don't see someone buy both a Camaro and a Mustang with the same options, because they're redundant. You don't see them buying both a Porsche Boxster and a BMW Z4, or both a Ford F-150 2wd and a Chevrolet 1500 2wd. All of those pairs of vehicles serve the same purpose. No smart person put themselves in a situation where they're thinking: "Hmm, do I take my $36,000 little convertible, or my $34,000 nearly-the-same-thing convertible?"

I have nothing against buying multiple cameras. Heck, I have a bunch, from my G2 to a Nikon DSLR, to a Nikon film SLR, to a medium format, etc. However, each of my cameras gives me something that the other doesn't, and it does so in a big way.

This is kind of my point. Of course, there isn't a specific camera that sits above the E-P3 in the market. With the car example above, the Camaro/Mustang guy could just put the two buying options aside and have $60,000 for a higher-end sports car. If you really stop and add up the relative "small" amounts that you're spending on multiple similar systems, and it all adds up. Add up the overall price of your E-P3 kit, plus adding in any losses from lenses you've bought and sold, plus any previous camera bodies that you've bought and sold, and it's staggering. Add up the overall price of your E-P3 kit, and then add the overall price of the V1 kit. The number will floor you. It starts making full-frame and/or Leica cameras look not so bad. A little cautionary spending can easily bring your dream camera into reach.

• Like Like x 1
  18. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Totally agree! If you have an E-P3, I don't see the point of buying something so similar. Wouldn't want to buy a GF2 to compliment your E-PL2. It's apples to apples. If anything, get an orange :smile:

19. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    idk i think the nikon is pretty neat for some reason haha.
    maybe over time i can find someone to swap with

20. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    In the motorcycle world though I see that all time. Plenty of guys have more than one hardcore sport bike, or a couple of cruisers, or a few vintage bikes. I know of a guy who had a Ducati 999, and MV Agusta F1 and an Aprilla Mille. Very, very similar bikes.
    Some people enjoy the "camera" aspect of photography as much as the "picture taking" part. Not my thing, but nothing wrong with it. :smile: