Nikon V1 Firesale, I Was Crazy (Your Thoughts?)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jnewell, Oct 3, 2012.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I should know better than to ask questions like that, but... :rolleyes: :wink:

I jumped on the firesale pricing of the V1 last night, just 'cuz...mostly just 'cuz I have really been fascinated by the PD/CD AF system and at that price...

But I'm thinking I must be crazy. The V1 just isn't that much smaller than a G5 (link)

http://camerasize.com/compare/#123,347

So I'm thinking I'm going to return it without even opening the box...let me know what you all think? :tongue:

2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Yup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think if you want to shoot action, the V1 is a good choice. For other things, I'd say there are better options, probably even considering the deal you got on the V1.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The V1 PDAF apparently works quite well in bright light. Not at all in dim, where the V1 is apparently quite slow to focus. And I suspect some of the reason is works well in bright light is the prodigious depth of field the small sensor and short focal length lenses offer.

If you need a small camera for good focus on moving subjects, and can afford a specialized camera for that use, it may be worth keeping. And if you have a collection of Nikon lenses, and are willing to pay for the adapter, it might be an interesting way to get super telephoto capability relatively cheaply.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Also,
    Quite a few nature shooters take advantage of the 2.7x crop factor of the V1 by slapping on some big (e.g. 400) glass :smile:

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Don't know if this will help, but locally they are selling v1, with two lense kit for $400. So it seems like this camera is falling to the wayside.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The speculation on DPReview forums (which is about as valuable a reality check as a night spend dropping acid) :eek: was that the V1 is disco'd, and that Nikon is going to move the CX line forward with J1/J2-type cameras. Who knows...could actually make sense???

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Ummm, yes, but Nikon hasn't reduced the price of the FT-1 adapter, so it is about 50% of the cost of the camera! (or at least what the camera cost last night - prices seem to be headed back up) :eek:

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think I was partly thinking "small camera," but in real life, it isn't much smaller than the G5, nor is is lighter. And the physical interface is definitely...I am searching for a nice word...unique, at least if you are a photographer rather than a button-masher. :redface:

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Some people have hypothesized that it could be fun if you had some long Nikon lenses and wanted to make use of the crop factor for some uber telephoto action.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've seen it done.
    There's a guy I know of in another forum that shot with the Nikon V1 + 300 f/2.8 VR II + TC20-E III for a 35mm equivalent focal length of 1620mm :eek:

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    While the camera is not much lighter than the G5, it is much thinner, making it more portable in smaller bags. The lenses are also smaller. Ultimately, the question is what do you expect to get out of this camera? Can you accept the image quality from the smaller sensor and limited lens selection as a trade-off for an overall more compact package (lens included)?

Personally, I am also very interested in the V1 if the price is right, but I am most interested in the camera coupled with the video lens, which probably costs more than the camera itself at this stage!

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Good comments all -thanks. I'm pretty sure that from my personal perspective the V1, even at the firesale price, just doesn't offer enough more portability than, say, a G5 with the new 14-42 X PZ, and there are definitely some give-ups with the V1. The things that caught my eye were the PD/CD AF and the accessory GPS, but it looks like the PD only works in pretty bright light and however much fun integrated GPS EXIF data would be it's hardly a reason to buy a camera. :biggrin: Even the FT-1 doesn't really sing to me, since the AF is somewhat limited with the adapter in use. YMMV, obviously.

14. Nate Crisman

Nate Crisman Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    I bought the V1 kit at $700 with the longer 30-110 about a month ago when the first price drop happened. I originally wanted an OMD for a vacation/toy camera but just couldn't justify $1000 body + lenses.

I have an epl2 which is just about worthless for kids and action shots, and a built in EVF was absolutely mandatory for me. I looked at the g5 as well, but just decided to try the v1 first.

In any event, I'm very happy with it and like to think of it as a big upgrade to the Fuji f500exr that was my previous vacation/toy camera. I swore off carrying a D3 or D90 with multiple lenses in Disney with kids a long while ago.

There are many things that just felt right for me (I used to shoot nikon dslrfor a few years prior to quitting professional photography). The rotation of the lens mount and zoom rings mostly as we'll as the huge battery.

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    If you really want to see some fun, use an old 300mm/extension tube with a Pentax Q.

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Can you compare how the V1 is for shooting fast action vs the D90? I know the V1 is fast in terms of fps, but how is the EVF for tracking?

Thanks.